We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay to get about on buses

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay to get about on buses

I am looking to stay in an area of LA for 5 days without car so ideally it will act as a public transport central hub for all our journeys any sugestions of hotels would be nice 3*+ we are both retiring thi year and want to make this a holiday of life time. Does this make sense arrive from UK San Fran for 5 days Stay near fishermans wharf fly Southwest airlines to Los Vag stay 5 days Hotel on Strip fly Southwest air lines to San Diego 5 Days (Looking for an area to stay here to) Train to LA for the

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

5 days is way too long for Las Vegas. I highly recommend driving between San Francisco and Los Angeles - especially if this is a trip of a lifetime.

LA hotels are expensive, however I recommend you look in Hollywood if you really do not want to have a car. However, again, if it's a trip of a lifetime, then make your vacation more enjoyable and more relaxing by hiring a car for Los Angeles as it's an enormous city.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

The best place for public transit for most tourist itineraries is the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and highland Ave. in Hollywood. The two nicest hotels in that area are the Hollywood Roosevelt and the Loew's Hollywood. The next tier down would include the Magic Castle Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood and the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame. In addition to great public transit access this is also a big tour bus hub (www.starlinetours.com). There are other areas you can stay that have good (but not as good) public transit access, it depends on your itinerary and your budget.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,021 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

The W and the Redbury are also very nice hotels in that area.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Los Angeles forum, Martin D.

I, too, think that 5 days in LV is far too long! You don't say what time of year this trip is planned for, but LV is terribly, terribly hot between June and September.

I don't care for the drive to Las Vegas, but there are lots of things to see and do along the way if you decide to drive. It would not be my idea of a good time, though.

And, yes, Hollywood would be a good place to stay for mass transit options.

Be aware that LA is not a place to scrimp on your hotel budget. It is pricy here. San Diego and Las Vegas are better for finding less expensive hotels so try to save some $$$ there to use in LA.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Hello Martin, I second Yogachick's suggestions on hotels in Hollywood as well as possibly renting a car, or at least if not driving in LA, driving from San Francisco to LA along the coast. There are so many gorgeous stops along the way (Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, Santa Barbara). For the trip of a lifetime you have to at least include a pit stop at the Madonna Inn!

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Thank you all so much for the help and advice

We have now completely rescheduled the Holiday(Vacation)

Late Oct (take advantage of flight redutions)

Fly to SanFrancisco 5nights 21 oct

26 Oct pick up hire car 26 Oct - 9 Nov

Drive to Monterey 2 nights

Drive to Santa Barbara 2 nights

Drive to LA 5 Nights

Drive to San Diego 5 nights

Drop off car

Fly to Las Vegas (South Western Airways Schedule not available yet )

3 nights LV (include flight to Gran Canyon)

WE are both retired but fit

and as I said hoping to make this a special holiday

Would apreciate any comments or advice

ie Best area to stay now we are booking a car

Thank you all again Martin

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

I would say that there are better areas to stay than Hollywood if you have a car, but in this case the key factors would be your itinerary and your hotel budget. Plus be advised that many hotels, including pretty much all of the nicer hotels , in the LA area are going to charge for parking, typically anywhere from $15-35 per night, so be sure to check each specific hotel to find out their parking rate.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,147 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Your current plan is much better, but I wouldn't spend 5 nights at Fisherman's Wharf. I'd be near Union Square or the Embarcadero.

Hollywood is a good area for reasonable hotels with reasonable parking. You might look at a couple of West Hollywood hotels as well.

In Hollywood start with the hotels already recommended and see if you can find hotels to fit your budget.

In San Diego, check out La Pensione and Porto Vista in Little Italy for great, reasonable places to stay in a very nice area.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Again thank you all so much for your help and advice

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay to get about on buses

Hi everyone latest plan

5 nights fishermans wharf at sheraton 21 16 Oct

may be trips out

pick up car and drive tightso monterey for 3 nights

thats sat sun mon nights would mon be the best day for whale watch maybe less people on board should I book in advance? aquarium and a few walks

29 oct drive down to santa barbara 2 nights harbor inn

31 oct 3 nov Redbury LA

drive to San Diego 5 nights sheraton bay marina

Fly southwest airline to Las Vegas

3 nights Bellagio

maybe fly Grand canyon (Helicopter or fixed wing

You have all been great on here hope Im not pushing my luck for more great Ideas

Martin