We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive and town

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drive and town

Hi all,

Here is some real situation that I need an advise, I will be arriving back from Vegas on 18th April 2013(previously from LA for 5nights), flight arrival time 3.35pm and staying in Westin LAX. I will really love to head down to anywhere with scenic drive with a rented car (probably newport beach, long beach, or anaheim) I'm not planning to visit any theme parks.

Any suggestion for a day trip from that particular time till night?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive and town

Newport Beach sounds great. As would be Santa Monica and Malibu. Even a route taking in the Hollywood Hills, Mulholland Drive, Sunset Strip, Bel Air and Beverly Hills.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drive and town

Just find the Pacific Coast Highway at the LAX area, and head south. There is a great detour that takes you through the Palos Verdes area with some great views, and then when you get to the Newport Beach area, another detour where you get to use a ferry for a short trip across Newport Bay. Then keep going south until you run out of time, then you can head back to your Hotel using the freeway system (I-5 to the I-405).

Here is a TA Guide to the drive, with maps showing the suggested detours.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drive and town

It depends what you want to get out of this. Sunset is just before 6:30 PM on April 18. By the time you get out of the airport, its going to be after 4:00 most likely. This means you're going to be dealing with rush hour traffic as commuters start to head home from work. So for me, I'd probably stick relatively close and go somewhere like Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach, which you should be able to reach while there's still a fair amount of daylight. Then get dinner there and have a stroll on the beach.

If you head toward the coast and use the coastal road called Vista Del Mar which is to the west of LAX, and head south, you'll get a good view of the coast. The street continues on into Manhattan Beach where it changes names to Highland Ave. At Highland Ave. and Manhattan Beach Blvd., you'll want to start looking for parking (there's some parking structures in this area) and the Manhattan Beach Pier is at the west end of Manhattan Beach Blvd.

If you want to go to Hermosa Beach, continue on Highland until it ends at Longfellow Ave. There turn right onto Longfellow, and then shortly after turn left on Hermosa Ave. and continue into Hermosa Beach. Take Hermosa Ave. to Pier Ave. and you'll be just east of the pier in Hermosa Beach.

The issue I see with going further on Highway 1 / Pacific Coast Highway to Palos Verdes and down to Newport, I think, is that you're going to be running out of daylight by the time you get down there as you're going to be dealing with a lot of traffic. And Pacific Coast Highway, despite its name, its neither right next to the coast nor really a proper highway (really just a surface street with lots of traffic signals) for much of this stretch so I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drive and town

I'd probably head towards the beach area and take Vista Del Mar NORTH, not south. North takes you through Marina del Rey and Playa Vista, then Venice & Santa Monica and down to Coast Highway into Pacific Palisades coming back using Sunset Blvd.

See map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/3TQKD

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drive and town

You will be arriving late in the afternoon, during rush hour traffic. You won't be in the car until 4:30, most likely. Are you sure you want to rent a car and go for a drive? Another good idea would be to take a taxi from your hotel to Manhattan Beach Pier. Manhattan Beach is a very pretty beach town, just a 10 minute drive from LAX. You could walk on the beach, relax, shop, have a nice dinner, and then head back to your hotel. It would be a more relaxing option for your last day.

You could also ask the Westin if they run a free shuttle to nearby towns, such as Manhattan Beach or even Santa Monica. It is possible.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic drive and town

Hi all,

Thanks for all the detailed feedback which gave me a clear indication what I can do with such short time. I think I will stick to Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.

Another few quick questions

1) What is the best way in public transportation to travel to Manhattan Beach followed by Hermosa beach?

2) Where can I stroll along during the evening with great coffee place?

3) Will it be safe to travel back after dark using public transportation since I planned to get dinner as well.

Many thanks in advance.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic drive and town

Google for the Ocean Express Trolley - it will stop at or near the Westin and some other LAX hotels and also stops at the pier in Manhattan Beach along with a few other places. Its an inexpensive way to get there. Otherwise, take a taxi. There's not really any public bus service beside the Ocean Express Trolley that can get you to the Pier in Manhattan Beach which is the most interesting part of that area. The closest bus service involves a walk of about 1 mile from the bus stop to the pier.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic drive and town

Hey Mach,

Thanks so much. It is now set and all planned out accordingly.

Cheers.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic drive and town

Take the Ocean Express Trolley for $5 r/t from your hotel to downtown Manhattan Beach.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…

Best places to get coffee are on MB Blvd. There is a Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and a Peet's, all a couple blocks up from the Pier. If you want to stay later into the evening to go to restaurants and bars, there is a taxi stand by the Shade Hotel, or you can phone 800-924-TAXI.

http://www.southbayyellowcab.com/

Jacksonville...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic drive and town

Sunset Strip