We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorry i have 2 questons

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
sorry i have 2 questons

Hi

iam looking for a bit of information we are from the uk and are staying in vegas for a week i was wanting to suprise my husband with a day trip to l.a i have looked at flights and they are reasnable price my first question is, is, all we would need is our passports as we are flying domestic what happens at lax ie customs and stuff my secoond question is which you proberly get alot is what the best way to get to chinese theatre we land at 7:30am and want to do the hop on hop off bus there will be four of us

Thanks in addvance

Stacey

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

First, you are correct, since its an internal flight, there are no customs/immigrations etc.

There's three main ways to get from LAX to the Chinese theater:

a) taxi - quickest, but figure $50-55, probably 45 minutes transit.

b) shared van shuttle - www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com - $15 or $16 per person but the vans can circle the airport to try and fill up, and then they may detour along the way to drop off other passengers. At least as long as a taxi, but maybe longer.

c) FlyAway Bus (go to www.lawa.org, LAX, then ground transportation) for $7 per person to Union Station, and then the Red Line subway (www.metro.net) from Union Station to the Hollywood / Highland station where the Chinese Theater is, for $1.50 per person. Probably 75-90 minutes total transit.

In this case, since your time is limited if the taxi cost isn't an issue for you, I'd do that.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
29,395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

I'm going to recommend something different. Fly from LV (airport code LAS) to Bob Hope Airport (airport code BUR) in the city of Burbank. This is a small airport (think: Luton or Stansted) but it has only domestic flights so it's very easy to get in and out of. Southwest.com (the 'easyjet' of the U.S.) has hourly flights from LAS to BUR.

At BUR (unlike LAX), Southwest's 737 aircraft load and unload from the forward and aft doors simultaneously so you'll be off the plane quickly and on your way to Hollywood. From BUR, there are several transfer options:

1. A taxi. -- The transfer is about 7 miles (Be sure to tell the driver to take Hollywood Way to Olive Av to Barham Bl to Cahuenga (Kuh WENG uh) as that will be the least expensive route. You might hit some traffic in the morning (if it's a weekday). As such, the fare will be approximately $28 + tip ($4).

I'll list the other airport transfer options below but a taxi is probably your best bet.

2. A 'shared van' or 'private van'. Prime Time Shuttle (redvans.com) offers a 'shared van' for 4 persons for $50 and estimates transfer time at 1 hour. They offer a private van for $75 which should take about 30 minutes.

Prime Time's competitor, SuperShuttle.com offers a unique transfer service called "Business Express Svc by Express Shuttle" which is a private transfer in a MINI-VAN. This vehicle is smaller than the standard airport van and can hold only 5 passengers but since there are only 4 of you, it's a perfect option. The cost? $59.

3. The #222 metro bus ($1.50 per person, about 30 minutes transit time) but the bus picks up only once every 40 minutes or so. Here's the schedule:

metro.net/riding_metro/…222.pdf

The bus does not pull into the airport but instead pulls up right in front of the main entrance to the airport. To reach it from the terminals, turn left as you exit your terminal and simply follow the sidewalk (it's a walk of about 7 minutes during which time the sidewalk bends a little to the left and right). Eventually, you'll see a road crossing your path (that is Hollywood Way). Just before stepping onto the road, turn right and walk 20 m along the sidewalk (that will be parallel to Hollywood Way) and you'll see the bus stop there. (You can't miss it).

Here's a little map that might be helpful: (link and SCROLL DOWN to the 'zoomed in' map of the airport grounds). The 2 terminals are in the blue area at the 9 o'clock position of the map.

ifly.com/bob-hope-airport/Burbank-Bob-Hope-B…

Terminal B is at the end of the building closest to the pink building. Terminal A (where southwest lands) takes up the rest of the blue building but its exit is in the thick part of the blue building to the immediate west of the skinny part of the building.

The gray line just below the blue building represents a road that runs through the airport which also has a sidewalk running along side of it (closest to the terminal building). So, upon exiting the terminal, you'll go east (which is 'right' on the map but 'left' from the perspective of someone exiting the terminal) and then follow it until it reaches Hollywood Way (the first vertical gray line to the east of the blue building).

The bus stop will be on the west side of Hollywood Way just to the south of where the airport's road intersects Hollywood Way (the airport road is called "Thornton Way" once it emerges from the airport).

Have fun!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

There is the TSA security check, which does require a photo ID, so for most foreign visitors, they use their Passport to meet the requirement.

tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Netherlands
Level Contributor
606 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

i would propose doing it with a rental car.

4 hours driving time, a lot cheaper than flying. Also, time wise it would be more or less the same (1 hour flying time, 1,5 hour check in, get luggage, find taxi/shuttle/whatever means of transportation)

Except for ticket costs, you pay 25$ per luggage piece one way so having a rental car gives you the freedom to drive whenever you like, wherever you like.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

Don't think this is a good idea DTa. They'll hit in and outbound LA traffic by car and have to start in the night to get to LA by 7.30 am. Not to mention the drives in the dark with all the trucks on the road.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,030 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

You cannot make LA a day trip from Vegas unless you fly. YEs, you will need your passports to board the plane (get through security). Agree with above about flying into Burbank - don't fly to LAX or it will be a very long day

Netherlands
Level Contributor
606 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

I overlooked the word 'day trip'.....

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

Want to thank you you all for your help you have been great all info very useful especially the Burbank airport info gona go with that

Thanks again

Stay safe

Stacey x

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

When searching for airfares, make sure you look at Southwest Airlines. You'll have to look on their site; they don't show up on Expedia et al.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sorry i have 2 questons

If you searching Domestic Discount Airlines, here is a popular list, all require you go to their specific website.

Southwest

jetBlue

Virgin America

Frontier

Spirit

Watch out for extra fees, especially Spirit.