We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18th Birthday in LA?

C G
San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
18th Birthday in LA?

My daughter and I are from San Diego. She is turning 18 in March and I know she wants to spend her birthday in the LA area. Her style is very "indie and urban" (as she likes to call it). She likes those warm, wistful, indie hangout spots that teens like nowadays. Any suggestions?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18th Birthday in LA?

Maybe a day at the Grove Shopping Center and maybe the TMZ Bus Tour offered by Starline Tours and some time at the Hollywood and Highland Center (Shoppertainment Mall) where the TMZ tour leaves from.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,694 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18th Birthday in LA?

I think Westwood has an indie vibe these days, at least from my 19 year old's best friend's view; she goes to UCLA and finds Westwood to be her kind of place. I think Main St. in Santa Monica would be of interest, too. Melrose Ave. is probably too far on the leather and motorcycle end of the spectrum, and I hear the thrift shopping there is way overpriced, but there could be some cool shopping to be done there, and it is near The Grove.

A few other neighborhoods to consider:

NoHo Arts District

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Los_Angeles

Silver Lake (according to Forbes Magazine, it is America's Hippest neighborhood)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Lake,_Los_Angeles

forbes.com/sites/…

After you do this, please let us know where you and your daughter decided to go and how you liked it!

Edited: 6:43 pm, February 05, 2013
3. Re: 18th Birthday in LA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 07, 2014