We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in LA.. Help?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in LA.. Help?

Hey guys!

1) My sister (17), myself (19) and my dad are planning to go to LA from New Zealand in February 2014! Is this a good time to go re: weather and school holidays etc??

2) Also, we are wanting to do 1 or 2 days at Disneyland and i have heard it is best to stay in a hotel in Anaheim for those days and then stay in a different hotel closer to the city.. is this a good idea or not worth the hassle of switching hotels?

3) Other attractions we are wanting to see include Universal Studios, Warner Bros, Wax Museum, Hollywood Sign, Rodeo Drive, Walk of Fame, The Grove, and just other tourist things so was wondering the best area to stay is? We are not planning on hiring a car as dad thinks driving on the opposite side of the road will be too confusing and parking is expensive. Is the public transport easy enough and reliable and does it go to most of these places? We dont mind walking abit if needed.

4) we are not planning on doing any of the movie stars homes tours but my sister really wants to google some addresses and just wonder around their neighbourhoods in the hope of seeing their mansions.. Is this possible?

5) We have noo idea where the best place is to stay! My sister is desperate to stay in West Hollywood or Beverley Hills because she thinks alot of celebrities hang around there so if we stay in the area, she might see one? what do ya think?

- Not really interested in staying in Santa Monica but do plan to spend a day or two there!

- What place is the most central ( if there is one)? Hollywood? Burbank? My dad is very worried about the crime so has to be somewhere safe!

6) We also want to attend a TV taping... Maybe Ellen? and i know that is filmed in Burbank so is it easy to get from Beverley Hills/Hollywood/WesHollywood to Burbank?

7) Also, Cant wait to walk down Rodeo Drive! Are we actually allowed to go into some of the shops e.g Louis Vuitton? Of course we cannot afford to buy anything but would be interesting to see!

8) I am most excited for the attractions etc, My sister is most excited for seeing celebrities and my dad cant wait to see the flash cars!

9) Also, when the best time to buy flights/hotel? Our trip is a year away but want to be very prepared!

Any help and advice would be SOOO appreciated! As you can tell, we really have no idea about anything! We need all the advice we can get! I have been researching info for days and am still confused!

Thankyou so much for your time in advance!!!

:)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

1) This is the coolest month of the year and affords the greatest chance of rain.

2) Yes. It's best to stay in a hotel close to the parks. Anaheim is approximately a 45 minute drive south of LA.

3) The Hollywood area would be good to stay at. The public transit is vastly improved and will help you. Details on that as you finalize your itinerary.

4) Wandering around the neighborhoods is a waste of time. If anything, take one of the Tours of The Stars Homes which can be picked up at the Hollywood/Higland center, by the Graumanns Chinese Theater (Or whatever they call it nowadays)

5) See #3

6) TV tapings are the way to see stars. Getting to them is easy

7) Yes, you can go into stores. I'm not 100% sure if you can go to ALL of them though. You'll have fun there either way.

8) TV taping for celebrities; Rodeo for 'flash" cars

9) Start checking fares if they have them this far out. Keep you eyes out for special deals on some of the airfare specific websites

Dr. Z

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

1) no school holidays but as Dr. Z says, coolest and potentially rainiest month of the year

2) Since you won't have a car you''ll for sure want to minimize the number of times you go back and forth between LA and Anaheim. So if more than one day at Disney, I'd get a hotel in Anaheim for 1-2 nights for sure.

3) Stay in Hollywood near Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. You can reach everywhere you mentioned in item 3 with one subway ride or 1-2 bus rides. Not you cannot go to the Hollywood sign - you can get close to it but the site itself is fenced off. You can get great views of it from the main parts of Hollywood below the hills where the sign is.

4) Sure, its possible, but without a car you might end up doing a lot of walking to reach some of these houses, as many are up in the hills where there's little or no bus service. In any case if you just want to see the outside of their homes, you can do it, but in many cases all you'll be able to see are hedges, fences, and walls. Movie stars tend to value their privacy.

5) Without a car stay in Hollywood, its the best place to get public transit to the places that you mentioned. There's always a chance of seeing a celebrity in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or many other areas. But I wouldn't count on it and wouldn't base myself in a location that will make getting around more difficult without a car just on the remote chance of seeing a celebrity.

6)Agree with Dr. Z - the best way to see celebrities is TV tapings - that way you aren't leaving anything to chance. You can get to Ellen easily enough if you stay in Hollywood as above. Or Jimmy Kimmel tapes his show at Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave., so it would be right there if you decide to stay in Hollywood.

7) Yes, I've never been denied (or seen anyone else denied) entry into any shops on Rodeo Drive, even though I'm sure I look like someone who could not afford to buy much at any of the high end stores.

8) Agree with Dr. Z again. If you wander around Rodeo Drive and the surrounding streets, you're almost certain to see a few exotic cars parked or driving by.

9) Can't really help you with this except to say that a year is probably too far in advance. Hotels will start offering discounts for dates as they get closer out of fear of not being able to sell out the hotel. A year out and they aren't desperate.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

Great! Thank you so much! Your answers are a great help!

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

Thanks for your reply MachThree! I think we are definitely best to stay in Hollywood after reading your replies! Thanks heaps again.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

What about November 2013? Are there school holidays then? weather?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

The Thanksgiving Holidays are at the end of November (28th). Kids will be off around that time. Since we're in the northern hemisphere, our seasons are the opposite of yours: Dec-Feb is winter. Here's a chart of the average month temps in central L.A.:

weather.com/weather/…90048

Rain (precipitation) is shown on the chart at the bottom of the page.

As you can see, even though it's winter, our day time temps are still quite moderate but it can get chilly at night or along the coastal communities.

Another vote for staying in Hollywood. Have you looked at our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page? It will provide a great overview of our metro area? If the box is not visible, use this shortcut to link to the FAQs (which has the same content) -- link and SCROLL DOWN for the content in the center column:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

There is some info in the TOP QUESTIONS/FAQs about celebrity-spotting but I'll add this:

As a rule, celebs don't wander around in public. You won't see them at the supermarket or the mall. The BEST way to see them is to PAY to see them and what I mean by that is: Buy a ticket for a concert, play, musical theater presentation, etc and you will not only see the celeb but will have the possibility of getting an autograph afterward. This is especially true if the venue is a small, local one. Celebs will sometimes appear in small, local, theatrical productions because they miss being in live theater (if their careers have steered them to movies or TV), or because they support a local theater or community.

Look at Goldstar.com for 'last minute' discounted tickets to all kinds of events in L.A. (and many other cities -- be sure to select 'Los Angeles' before commencing your search).

Also keep your eyes open for 'charity events' that celebs might participate in. Google "Los Angeles Charity events" and see what you can find. The tickets might be more than the average concert but it goes to a good cause and the celebs are apt to be easier to approach.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

Thanks heaps HopSkipJump! You have really helped! Think we will stick to going in Feb as wanna avoid school holidays but dont want it to rain :/ Our only options are feb or november as our holidays here are nov-feb. Thanks again :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,871 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

I would think the weather would be much better in November vs February for a visit. Nov has half the rain that the month of February does, and the Temps in Nov will likely be better.

Theres only 1 week you would want to avoid visiting in Nov, the week of Thanksgiving where it would be more crowded. The rest of the Month usually has quite nice crowds and weather.

As suggested if you are spending a few days at Disneyland, its a good idea to stay in that area for a few days.

You can post in the Anaheim forum for more help with where to stay ect. for your Disneyland part of your vacation. Its helpful to include your dates of travel ( if you know them) and a budget per night for a Hotel as well as what kind of accomodations you are looking for in your post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

Edited: 11:57 am, January 31, 2013
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

Your dad might enjoy the Petersen Automotive Museum.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in LA.. Help?

If your choices are Nov. or Feb. then visit in Nov. The weather will be better as it is usually warmer and less rain. School holidays are not a big concern when visiting LA, it is a huge place with lots to do and see. I would just avoid Disneyland Nov. 23 to 30 because it will be more crowded due to the holiday. For everything else I would not worry about it. If you come in Feb., don't go to Disneyland on the holiday weekend Feb. 14 to 17.