We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Brisbane
7 posts
Save Topic
Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Myself and my girlfriend are trying to organise a 3.5 week trip to the US.We are hoping to fly into LA, visit Las Vegas, Drive the west coast to/or from San Fran and also visit New York. I realise that 3.5 weeks isn't a long time but we really want to make the most of it. Any feedback and help on the best way to do this would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou,

Matt

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Jast, it can get confusing when there's a few different questions being asked & answered, but more importantly, you might get more responses with your own thread. If someone has already looked at Matt's questions & decided not to answer it, they won't come back & read all the replies (& your question). There are also a lot of posters who don't bother to read the other replies.

If you start your own thread, then more people will see the question. That being said, budgets are so hard to advise on as everyone has different spending habits. I personally do an excel spreadsheet which includes all my expected costs (including cabs etc). How much I allow for food depends on the type of trip. If it's a road trip with some self catering, I allow $30 per day (for me). With no self catering or breakfast, $50 per day.

Brisbane
7 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Again thank you for all your feedback this has been extremely helpful. Both myself and my partner would be very keen to view your budget sheet if that is still ok. You could email in to me at Matt.glynn@raywhite.com. Very much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Better use the PM (Private message) function for that Matt instead putting you e-mail address on the forum and be subject to spam.

Brisbane
7 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

We have now got our Hollywood accommodation booked, staying at the Hollywood orchid suites. Now we are looking to book our flight to New York. I'm having trouble understanding the baggage fees. We are thinking of flying with Virgin America has anyone been charged over $80 for a 23kg bag and one piece of hand luggage?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Have you tried Southwest Airlines?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

If you use

kayak.com

for looking at airfare, they have useful tools on the upper left of the page including a way to add luggage fees to the price depending on how much luggage you have. They also show the history of fares for your dates (fare chart) which will often tell you whether it's a good time to buy tickets. In addition to LAX, Long Beach flying Jet Blue is a good option and the first bag with them is free.

Btw, we deal in pounds, not kilos. Taking an oversized/overweight bag is not a good idea.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

PS the tools I mention appear after you've done a flight search, not before.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Just noticed this thread due to me lurking lol.. great tips and inf as my wife and family are considering a 5 week adventure to USA ( NYC / CA / SO / route 101, HA and maybe Yosemite ) if we have time around Nov - Dec

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,949 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Welcome to the forums wayneee_2013

Since this is an old post from Feb. You can easily get some good advice of your own more specific to what you may want to do. Feel free to start your own post to help you plan your trip. You can do that by clicking where it says "ask a Question" on the page.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Planning a 3 week holiday to America

Weatherwise get to NY first and to SoCal after that.