We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anehiem / LA Hotels.

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Anehiem / LA Hotels.

Hi...

I will be in L.A for a total 6nights over Dec 26th 2013 onwards.

There are 4 adults and 2 kids traveling,

What accommodation would you guys recommend?? Should we do half and half in LA/Anehiem??

Thank-you in advance

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

Whether you split your trip depends on a number of things:

1. How many days will you be spending in Anaheim and how many days in L.A. If you plan to spend 4 or more days in one or the other, then there's no point in changing hotels.

2. Will you have a car or are you using public transit? Transferring between L.A. and Anaheim via public transit will take about 75 minutes and that's a measure between the Disneyland area and downtown L.A.'s Union Station. Our downtown is nearest the eastern-most edge of our sprawling city so if you plan to explore the center and westside of our city, it will take another hour or so each way to cross L.A.

Bottom line, if you don't plan to hire a car, you'll need to stay in L.A. for part of your holiday unless you're content with taking a bus tour(s) from Anaheim into L.A. (something I do not recommend but thousands and thousands of Aussies do it, every year).

Bottom line: the best way to determine where to stay (Anaheim vs. Los Angeles) is to do some research about L.A. and make a list of the SPECIFIC sites you'll be visiting (or, at the least, the names of the neighborhoods in L.A. that you'll be exploring).

IMO, too many Aussies visit L.A., only to spend all or most of their time at Disneyland. I'm hoping that you're one of the few who's interested in exploring the city of L.A. in more than a casual 'drive by' of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. There is SO MUCH MORE to our city!

Look over our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page. If you're using a 'smart phone' or tablet, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the tripadvisor.com homepage and click 'full site' in order to see the TOP QUESTIONS BOX. Look it over carefully, including the last 2 links in the box as well as the "Itinerary Ideas" section.

With a group of 6 people, you'll need to find hotels in Los Angeles that can handle that many. The TOP QUESTIONS BOX has a list of these if you click on 'where to stay'.

Happy researching!

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

We have 7 in LA... Would you do 4 in LA and 2/3 for Anaheim?? We want to do Hollywood,bev hills, everything LA has to offer.. Thanks for replying

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

I had 9 days in hollywood (l.a area)

+ 5 days in Anaheim!! Easily could of had more days in both!!!!

You could get the walk of fame/ rodeo drive etc done in one day if you really wanted too!!

I love Anaheims vibe!! Such a happy environment!

I stayed at the hollywood orchid suites ( 2 min walk to walk of fame) and the Howard Johnson in Anaheim (across the road from Disneyland , 5 min walk)

Great places, not to pricey but safe/ clean , close to everything!!!!!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

It really depends - Anaheim is central to many them parks (the two Disney parks plus Knott's Berry Farm), closer to the beaches in Orange County (Huntington, Newport, Laguna beaches), closer to Legoland in Carlsbad, and closer to San Diego. But its an hour from most of the other attractions that people associate with Los Angeles.

So you should make a list of what you want to do, and go from there. You'll want to avoid making the drive between Anaheim and LA too many times if you can, so figure out how many days you're going to spend in each area and then make the decision. A lot of visitors split their stay, but if there going to be in one of the areas only for one or two days and the rest of the time in the other area, they'll just stay in one of the areas and travel as needed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

What I would do is not necessarily what you will enjoy. I suggest you buy the Lonely Planet City Encounter for LA as it gives a brief overview of each area & what it offers. It helped me explore some parts of the greater LA area which I hadn't been to before & which I really enjoyed. Griffith Park Observatory in the afternoon was a real highlight.

I personally love Disneyland & spend a minimum of 3 days there each trip, but I know people who think 1 or 2 days is enough. If you will only do a day trip to Disneyland, then stay in the LA area for your whole trip & drive down for the day. If you want 2 or 3 days, then move down to Anaheim for those days.

6. Re: Anehiem / LA Hotels.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 15, 2014