We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

Love a GOOD coffee, so will be in pursuit of a satisfying brew in the various cities we will be visiting in the US.

As we are starting our journey in LA, does anyone have any recommendations re cafes for coffee and/or breakfast?

We will be staying at The Orlando, so in or around that area would be handy, particularly for breakfast and anywhere else for coffee.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

I think Starbucks is vastly under-appreciated, especially by coffee snobs. Yes I discovered Peet's when I went away to school in Berkeley, but in those days no one expanded. Cute little local coffee houses stayed just that, cute and local.

I shudder when I think about how much bad 7-11 coffee I drank before Starbucks took better coffee and espresso drinks nationwide. Everyone else, including McDonald's, 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts, had to elevate their game. While the "3rd wave" stuff is nice.... no, I don't want to sniff the beans before you grind (or roast) them, just give me a hot, fast cup of coffee that tastes okay.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

I think the difference is that Australia, especially Melbourne, has always had good espresso based coffee thanks to our large Italian community. So when Starbucks opened here a few years ago, there was a novelty factor to start with, but then people realised that the coffee we were already getting in some of our cafes was better. The suburban stores all closed & there's just a handful left in tourist locations. Plus flavoured coffee just isn't as popular here, we just want a coffee which is well made & tastes good. I will go there if I'm desperate, the coffee is OK, but I prefer to find better :)

Although Australia does go to the other extreme & lot's of people drink Instant Coffee (shudder). Whereas most Americans will have a filter coffee machine in their home, very few Australians do. Some have espresso machines, we have a lot of choices for home machines, both manual & pod. Others will have 'French Presses'. But many are content to make instant coffee at home or work (shudders again), then have espresso based coffee when they go out.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

The deffinition of "good" coffee changes day-by-day and person-by-person. I shudder to think that young people are growing up thinking that Starbucks is 'good' coffee and therefore the 'standard. It's flat out terrible and discusting.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is an LA-based chain, known locally as just "Coffee Bean." They serve a decent brew. I like it and I'm kinda particular about my coffee.

There's a Coffee Bean on the corner of 3rd Street and La Cienega, across from the Beverly Center.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

coffee + food on Melrose has an amazing Brekky sandwich and stellar coffee. Located at 5630 Melrose Ave @ Larchmont - you want to go there! you will not be disappointed!

https:/…212754002152906

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

Heck you can even get espresso drinks at Disneyland.

Australians may wish to order a double shot especially at chain coffee shops.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

I've never been a fan of Starbucks house blends nor of Coffee Bean & Tea's (which, for all intents and purposes, has the same feel as a Starbucks), but if you want what amounts to an espresso based cup of coffee I recommend getting what is known in the US as an "Americano" which is a some number of espresso shots with enough water added to bring it up to a full cup of coffee (vs a tiny espresso cup). That's what I always get at Starbucks or Coffee Bean & Tea. A medium Americano will come with 3-4 shots. All coffee bars will know what an Americano is.

By the way, in LA, the term "coffee shop" often refers to what is elsewhere known as a diner, at least that was true when I lived there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

>>>By the way, in LA, the term "coffee shop" often refers to what is elsewhere known as a diner, at least that was true when I lived there.<<<

I would say still does. I'd call Starbucks, Intelligentsia, et al "coffee houses". I think of coffee shop as a synonym of diner.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

I'd tend to disagree - in LA at least, the term "coffee shop" being used to describe a "diner" pretty much stopped with the decline of places like Dupars and the rise of Starbucks. Ask someone in LA where the nearest "coffee shop" is, and your more likely to be directed to the nearest Starbucks, Coffee Bean, or Peet's than you are to Denny's or Norms or someplace like that. "Coffee house" is not a term that I hear very often.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Good coffee stops (and breakfast)

Yes, you can get espresso at Disneyland, but it isn't necessarily drinkable :)