We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

Brighton, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
advice

hi going to la first vist, they feb should i :-

stay on the beach and travel to city sights daily.

stay in the city and travel to beach when i want.

is it possible / practical to use public transport.

Curent plan is to stay in santa monica and travel to city sights so we can spend evenings local is there enough to do in the evening in SM?

Can i hire a car pick up at hotel in santa monica, drive to plam springs and drop car off at LA internation airport?

thanks

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice

Define "city sights". Some things are near and close to Santa Monica. Many other things are further away. For instance, Disneyland is about 90 minutes away. If you were planning on spending a lot of time there, I wouldn't receommend staying in Santa Monica. It would be easier to answer your question if you had a clear itinerary.

The point is emminently debatable. Me, if you can afford it, stay in Santa Monica. It is a lovely place and good for first-time visitors.

What do you want to do in the evenings? The restaurants are world-class. There's plenty of shopping. There are good bars and clubs.

If you're staying in Santa Monica, I'd urge you to rent a car unless you plan on staying mostly in Santa Monica.

HTH

Edited: 9:43 am, January 06, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice

Santa Monica has the best public transit access of the beach areas, and there's plenty to do there at night in terms of bars and restaurants. If you're looking for the huge night-clubs, those are mostly in Hollywood. Its a decent place to stay for exploring the city without a car if you want to be by the beach, but it can involve a bit more transit time to reach some places - mostly due to geography but also you may need to switch buses to get to some places vs. if you stayed in Hollywood, for instance.

I'm not sure if you meant to say that you'll be in LA in February, but if you are then be advised you might not find this to be ideal beach weather, and so you might not want to pay the extra cost to stay in Santa Monica. Rain is possible at this time, and daytime temperatures in Santa Monica are very unlikely to exceed low 60's (F) - possibly ok for walking on the beach, but not really sunbathing weather and the ocean water will be far too cold for anything but dipping your toes in for a moment or too.

LA
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice

I hope you realize that it will be chilly at the beach and the water will be frigid.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,077 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice

Santa Monica is a great, small beach city to enjoy.

The upside of staying here is that you will be able to walk to dinner, shopping, movies, etc.

The downsides of staying here is that you are at the western end of the metropolis, so it will take you extra time to get to downtown or Hollywood. As we are along the shore, it is cooler here and not beach weather (at least for swimming).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice

Most English people like Santa Monica. I think it reminds them of Brighton. You will find some of your own type at Ye Old King's Head pub. Atlhough the food is actually quite good, since most of the cooks are Mexican.

For February, if you are thinking of going to Disneyland, check the park schedule for hours and closures. I do think it's worthwhile to get a hotel room nearby for the night of your visit.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar

Edited: 1:29 pm, January 06, 2013
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice

I've been to Brighton and Santa Monica is nothing like Brighton. It looks more like Hermosa. I'd be curious to know how anyone could know where most "English people" stay.

Johne, no matter where you stay, you'll be able to walk to dining and shopping of some kind. It's a good idea for you to formulate your exact itinerary (or, at least, a list of the neighborhoods you plan to visit) and then we can assist you. L.A. is like London in that it's extremely spread out.

Our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right has "Itinerary Ideas", info about 'using public transit vs hiring a car' and, most importantly has an overview of the popular neighborhoods since each has different types of nightlife to offer and different public transit options. If you're using a 'smart phone' or tablet, you won't be able to see the TOP QUESTIONS box until you scroll to the bottom of the Tripadvisor.com home page and click 'full site'.

Each neighborhood has its pluses and minuses (proximity to the center of our metro area, cost of hotels, cost of parking, public transit options, types of nightlife, etc, etc) but without knowing your itinerary, it's unrealistic to pick a neighborhood in which to stay.

How many people are you traveling with? (The more people you're with -- especially if there's children involved -- the more reasonable it is to hire a car).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,657 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice

There's plenty to do in Santa Monica at night. Some of LAs best restaurants are in SM, and it's bar after bar after bar both downtown SM and on Main Street.

I recommend staying in SM, for sure.

8. Re: advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 09, 2014