We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After a few suggestions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
After a few suggestions

We are stopping at L.A for two days before we head back to Australia in June. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if the hotels I am thinking of booking would be a good choice.

Our flight arrives at LAX 11.30pm 6/4/13. I thought we could stay at the Renaissance the first night.

On 6/5 go to Loews Hotel for the night before flying home on 6/6 at 10.30pm.

We will have our three year old with us so would like to be near public transport. Although we are happy to do alot of walking (while she is in the stroller)

I would like to try to do some shopping and general sightseeing. While my husband I think would like to go see the beach. Sorry for being vague on the last part he hasnt elaborated any further for me yet!!

So any suggestions on other hotels or family things to do would be great.

TIA

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After a few suggestions

For detailed descriptions of sites from which to view the Hollywood sign, go to our Top Questions box at the right side of this page and look for the link relating to the sign. If you're accessing the triP advisor site using a phone or 'pad', the Top questions box won't be visible until you do the following:

Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the link that says 'full site'

In the Top questions box is a topic about public transit which will explain how to get from one location to another via public transit

On your first night, take a taxi to whichever hotel you plan to stay at for both nights. When you arrive at 11:30 pm, it will be on 5:30 pm australia time. You won't be tired

Edited: 6:37 pm, January 03, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After a few suggestions

Just to clarify, when you say the Renaissance, do you mean the one at LAX, or the one in Hollywood which is no longer a Renaissance and is now a Loew's?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After a few suggestions

I am not a fan of checking in/out of Hotels, so I would stay 2 nights at the Loews Hollywood, which is a great central location, plenty of things to see and do within walking distance, and a LA Metro Red Line Subway station is right underneath the Hotel.

I would look into the Hollywood CityPASS for a group of things to do at a good discount.

http://www.citypass.com/hollywood

As for the beach, plenty of options, I like the trip south using the LA Metro Blue Line to Long Beach.

www.visitlongbeach.com

Or maybe the Renondo Beach Pier area using the LA Metro Green Line.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,117 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After a few suggestions

This is 2 days before you head back home right ? Not sure why you are changing hotels every night. LA is huge so the chains have more than one location so the best bet would be to read reviews. If you are talking about the Loews in Santa Monica, why not just take a cab to that hotel from LAX ? At that time at night it won't be more than 15 or 20 mins.

LOL -- there you go -- we all think you are staying in a few different hotels.

Edited: 6:49 pm, January 03, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,657 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After a few suggestions

Just taxi to Loews Hollywood and stay there the two nights. It's a matter of 15 minutes difference in travel that first night, versus all the time checking in and out the next morning - about 90 mins.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After a few suggestions

Thanks for the quick replies.

My first plan was to go straight to Loews in Hollywood and not stay at LAX the first night but after reading some posts and talking to some people they suggested the two hotels.

So I think I will stick to my original plan and go straight to Loews in Hollywood for the two nights.

What would be the best way to get to hotel and back? We will not have a car seat for our 3 yo and I am not yet familar with your car seat laws yet sorry. I still have alot of research to do!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After a few suggestions

Here is a good review of California Car Seat Rules.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c183583/Califo…

What I would do is pre-arrange for a town car or other company to pick you up both ways that provides a Car Seat at little or no charge.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,077 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After a few suggestions

While in Hollywood, it is an easy bus ride to the beach. There is no need to go all the way to Long Beach, which is 29 miles away! Santa Monica beach is 11 miles away, boasts a lovely pier and small aquarium, excellent beach, and the 3rd St. Promenade.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After a few suggestions

When we had a 3 year old, we just brought the booster seat from home when we traveled, as it's hard to find transportation that furnishes it when heading to a hotel, or the ones from the car rentals can be dirty.

This is the $20 dollar one we had from Target. Easy to carry on the plane for the child to sit on in the seat, light weight to hook on a stroller as you go through the airport.

target.com/p/…A-14149578

Will you not need a booster seat for all your traveling in the US?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: After a few suggestions

Thanks for the links.

I think I will get a booster seat to bring along as we will only need it between airports and hotels. Our main part of the trip is actually at Turks and Caicos so we wont really get to do much sightseeing of usa (that will be our next trip)