We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA in June

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rogersville, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
LA in June

We will be coming to LA in June, we are staying in Santa Monica. We want to do a lot in 2 days. Peterson musuem, walk of fame, chinese theater, farmers market. We will have a rental car, but I don't know if it would be better to take a tour or try it on our own. Is it fairly easy to drive? Need help. Don't want to spend 2 days getting lost and trying to find our way around.

Thanks.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA in June

You can do all of that in less than one day!

Start at Farmers Market (it's about a 25 minute drive from Santa Monica) because it's a great place to have breakfast. Just down the street from there is Peterson Museum, which is not very big, and won't take more than an hour (at most).

From there, go to the Chinese Theater, which sits on the Walk of Fame. That's maybe an hour (at most). You can have lunch somewhere in Hollywood, then head back to Santa Monica, you'll be back by 4:00.

Which hotel in SM? The best way to get there is to drive down Wilshire Blvd to Fairfax (you'll see the Petersen on that corner, on your right), make a left, and at 3rd Street, you'll see Farmer's Market. Afterward, head back down Fairfax to Wilshire, and you'll see the Petersen Museum, on the corner - it's a left onto Wilshire and into the parking structure.

After that, take Wilshire to La Brea (the opposite direction from the beach), make a left, and take that all the way to Hollywood Blvd, make a right. The Chinese Theater/Walk of Fame are a couple blocks down, on your left.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA in June

Consider walking across the street from the Petersen and visiting the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Page Museum and La Brea Tar Pits.

Another option: since all of your stops involve looking for "pay parking" in parking structures or lots, cosider leaving your car at the Farmer's Market (the parking fee is just $2 for the first 4 hours) and taking the bus between all of your locations.

There is a bus called the Fairfax DASH that can take you down Fairfax Avenue to the Petersen/LACMA/Tar Pits from the Farmer's Market (just 4 blocks -- you could actually walk it). The fare is 25 cents!

Take the same Fairfax DASH back past the Farmer's Market and it will land you at nearby Beverly Center where you have a number of curbside choices for lunch and if you venture inside, you'll be at one of L.A. largest indoor shopping malls.

After lunch, pick up the Hollywood/West Hollywood DASH bus on the northeast corner of Beverly Blvd and La Cienega and take it to the corner of Hollywood Bl and Highland Av (just 10 minutes away for another 25 cents). See the Walk of Fame, Chiinese Theatre, etc and then from that same intersection (northwest corner). pick up either the #217 or #717 back to the Farmer's Market (15 minutes/$1.25 fare).

Parking at the Petersen is $6 and parking at Hollywood & Highland is $2. So, you'll save $8 in parking and you won't have to remember where you parked your car.

Enjoy!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA in June

Do it on your own. The drive between all these locations is quite reasonable. You won't get lost.

HTH.

Rogersville, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: LA in June

Thank's for the help. We are staying at the Bayside Hotel in Santa Monica. I didn't realize you could do all of that in one day. We have planned 2 days for the los angeles part of the trip, so I guess I can plan some more things to do the second day. Any suggestions? Is there enough in Santa Monica to keep us busy one day? Thanks

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA in June

Well, it is not clear to me what kinds of activities you're interested in. But, I'd definitely recommend visiting the Getty Museum. It is located just north of the junction of the 405 and 10 freeways. You may not care for the exhibits (I don't). But, the building is impressive and the view excellent.

I'm sure you will be able to enjoy an afternoon in Santa Monica. The area around the Pier, the Third Street Promenade and Main Street is very inviting and walkable. Venice Beach is also a very unique scene and well worth a visit.

HTH.