We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

Hi - we arrive from New Zealand in two weeks for a three week road trip. We originally planned to bring our phones from home and buy US sim cards for use while away (as roaming costs from NZ are horrific). The main purpose of having phones is in case we split up and do different things - not to keep in touch with people back home or internet access (we have an ipad for that).

But, I've been told that it's hard finding SIM cards that are compatible with our phones.

So, am thinking best approach may be to buy two cheap but reliable phones with a month's plan (mainly texting). Can anyone suggest a suitable phone and where we could buy it from on arrival? We land at LAX and spend our first night in El Segundo before picking up our rental car the next day (again from LAX).

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

You could go to any Target, Best Buy, ATT, Verizon or T-mobile store and get a cheap phone for talk and text

target.com/c/…N-5xte4

Unless you are coming very late at night and are leaving town the next morning, I think staying around the businesses at El-Segundo is a waste of time in LA. I would rent a car and drive the same evening

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,447 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

You can get a cheap pay-as-you go mobile phone or two at pharmacies: RiteAid, CVS, Walgreen, too.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

Thanks for those responses. We will look for one of those places near the hotel. Belomiser, we are coming off a 12 hour flight and have three kids with us - I'm not too keen on driving with jet lag and on what is for us the wrong side of the road. We planned a rest day for that reason. But I know what you're saying, it does feel like a bit of a waste of time!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

I am a firm believer in resting for a day to get over the jet lag -- even for a night. The LA folks are the experts here but personally if you are planning to stay in LA, I would take a cab or a shuttle (book the entire shuttle and not share it) to your hotel where you plan to stay after Sepulveda (have spent many a day at an office on that road near LAX hence my lack of love for that part of town) and then rent a van/car from a local edition rental location close to you. They will pick you up and more than likely your fees for the car rental will be lower

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,536 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

If your phones are 3G compatible, you don't necessarily have to buy phones. Just stick with texting. As long as you don't make calls, the occasional texting costs should be quite acceptable.

Do avoid answering any phone calls though. International roaming typically charges more for receiving than making calls. Tell anyone back home to text you.

6. Re: buying phones for use for 3 weeks CA and Arizona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2013