We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

This is first time to LA. We are a family of 4, 3 adults +1 16 yrs old. Arrive LA on 25th 5pm, staying near LAX. Staying 2 nights. Leave on 27th 11pm..Will not be driving. Using only public transport.Plan on Universal Stu. And city tour. Should it be combined in 1 day or separately on 2 days. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

I would have stayed in Hollywood for 2 nights, but if you have already booked it, you are going to do some travelling each day ....

Universal Studios is close by Hollywood, so you could have hopped onto the metro which is one stop away.

To get there by public transport and back again is going to take a while.

From where you are, I would do an organised tour with someone like Starline Tours... they include Universal in some of their tours.

http://www.starlinetours.com/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

IMHO, Universal Studios is a full day. (Happening to be going to USH today for the first day of Grinchmas). Here is a link to a trip report I wrote from earlier this year with actual times for the entire day of events.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k547193…

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

Tnx for the reply. Yes, planning to join an organized tour. Costs $100 for whole day Universal tour including transport. There is another tour costing $130 which does 2 hour Hollywod/Beverly Hills and on to Universal for 5 hours. Which is the better option of the two? If the first one, then can take The Grand LA city tour costing $70.

One more question, can you suggest some sightseeing to do on out first evening from 6pm onwards till say 10pm, somewhere not far from LAX? Again by public transport. Would going to Santa Monica be feasible?

Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

Very helpful trip report. Thanks for the link.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

Go straight to Universal and enjoy the day there rather than a tour to BH and Hollywood.

An easier-to-ready beach town that is closer to LAX would be Manhattan Beach. Some hotels are on a shuttle line that will get you there and back (ask the front desk of your hotel).

It is very feasible to go to Santa Monica, either by bus (line #3 via Lot C of the airport parking lot) or cab (about $40 one way). Or do a Starline Hop on Hop off bus from the airport area.

I'm sure the concierge at your hotel can help you organize a day trip or two.

Have fun. Come back when you can spend more time. 2 days in LA and staying at the airport will not give you much of a feel for our large, pretty city.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

The Grove makes it really feel like Christmas, I liked taking the trolley through the mall....if some shopping wants to be done, I'd go here...

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

Agree with the above, give Universal a full day. Then do the city tour the next day. I'd also definitely invite you to come back sometime when you have at least 6-7 days to spare so you can see so much that LA has to offer than a theme park.

8. Re: Advice for LA trip this X'Mas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 17, 2013