We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advise

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advise

Hi,

I am visiting LA with my 10 year old son . We are arriving at 11 am.

This is my tentative Itinerary.

day 1: Leave airport. have lunch Check in to the hotel near Universal studio. Have rest and then leave around 3pm to explore the city.

day 2: Universal studio and check into the hotel in anaheim

day 3 and 4: disney land

day 5: drive to Sanfranciso

My question is mainly about dy 1. With the limited time I have, what can I do.. I see other Itinerary saying to go to Hollywood and beverly hills. Can you pls let me know what is there to see/do in those places?

One plan is to see the hollywood sign and then go to santa monica and spend the evening there.. Is there a beach there or just a pier?

Or probably go to Manhanttan beach..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advise

Have you checked with your hotel regarding early check-in? I ask because normal check in time usually starts at 3:00 pm. Will you have a car? What you will have time to do will depend greatly on having a car.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,888 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advise

Will you have a car? When is this trip?

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advise

Yes I will be renting a car for our entire trip from the airport. My guess is by the time we get out of the airport and have lunch, it will be almost 2pm. Hopefully the hotel will let me check in at that time.

I am travelling 3rd week of december.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,476 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advise

If you have a car, it is very easy to cover lots of ground (also good to know what day of week you are doing your LA visit). Without a car, it will limit your scope and you will probably only be able to visit Hollywood area.

You can see the Hollywood sign from the shopping center, Hollywood and Highland (also where the best parking is). There is a very good overlook from the mall, but the sign is not lit, so plan to do that during daytime hours. Then you can easily walk around H'wood to see the stars, Grauman's Chinese Theater where the hand and footprints are, maybe take in a movie or visit the wax museum and/or Ripley's Believe it or Not (kids really seem to like that place).

With a car, you can then drive to Rodeo Dr. to see where the rich and famous shop (again, not a big deal at night). Then drive on to Santa Monica's 3rd St. Promenade where you can park and stroll the promenade then down to the pier for the rides and arcade games.

I do not mean to be unkind, but you really do need to do some research about where you are coming! Not knowing if there is a beach is a big red flag that you don't know much about the area. Yes, Santa Monica has a beach. Pretty huge and long one, in fact. From Malibu on down past the airport and beyond is one long, large swatch of beach. I find I'm often disappointed when I travel: "this is it?" often comes to mind because our beaches are so long and lovely.

Please take some time to peruse TripAdvisor. Both the left side of this page (especially Things to Do) and all of the Top Questions on the right will give you a better understanding of Los Angeles. Also on the right side are some pretty good itineraries. One is specifically geared toward families. Reading here, as well as a library book, will certainly help you enjoy your visit to the fullest.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advise

Thanks for the detailed response.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advise

I agree with the above. With. 10 year old, you may want to skip Bev Hills and hang out in the Santa Monkca area. It is not going to be Toronto weather but it may not be beach weather and could be rainy. Have you thought of staying in Santa Monica which is a short drive from LAX and then just going to Universal for the day? Is your son interested in the Science center and seeing the space shuttle. All that are more in LA

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advise

You are doing things jn the wrong order. When you arrive at LAX, if you drive to your hotel by universal city, you'll be heading northeast which is on the way to San Francisco (sort of). You're then backtracking (in a southwestern direction) to visit Beverly Hills, etc. Then, you're heading southeast to Disneyland (which is the opposite direction from San Francisco). Then, you're backtracking (northwest) to get to SF.

My suggestion is to arrive at Lax, head to Manhattan Beach (15 minutes sourh of the airport). This will allow you some 'beach time'. Then drive further south(and east) to Anaheim. Spend 2 days at DL. Then drive northwest and explore Hollywood/Beverly Hills and. 4 or 5 hoirs at universal. Continue north to SF

8. Re: Itinerary advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 17, 2013