We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
first time visitor to los angeles, ca

thinking of visiting LA in February, need some input. How is the weather like in February, closest hotel I can stay. I would like to visit the walk of Fame, etc. I would like to stay for 4 nights. Do i need to rent a car?? I need a hotel close to most attractions in LA. Input please. thanks.

Edited: 10:42 pm, December 06, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

ATLGal, It is totally impossible to get a hotel "close to most attractions in L.A." Los Angeles spreads out over 500 square miles. There are hundreds of "attractions" and the ones you visit will depend upon your interests. Please do some more research, starting with the "Top Questions" on the right side of this page and decide what "attractions" are most appealing to you.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Yes, you need to do a bit more research and decide what you want to see. LA is huge. Once you are more familiar with the area and what you want to see, you can ask more specific questions. A car makes it a lot easier to get around but isn't absolutely necessary (and depends somewhat on where you want to go. Also, what is your budget per night for a hotel?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Please also take a look at the left side of this page, Things to Do, too. As mentioned, there is so much to do here and suggestions are better if we know a bit about what you are looking for.

As far as weather, winter months are our "rainy season." February and March tend to be the months when we have the most rain. However, that can be anywhere from a full day downpour to rain overnight with plenty of sunshine the next day. If you area looking for beach weather, you won't find it. If you do want lots of heat, consider visiting the Palm Springs area.

weather.com/outlook/…USCA0638

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

so nice of feedback I have from you all. Thank you so much. this site is awesome with regards to travel feedbacks. My visit is focus on Hollywood walk of fame around that area, center of Hollywood. No beach, no heat, Hollywood Studios, just sight seeing mostly. I have found a nice Hotel, which I read on one of the recommendations from previous topic here about Los Angeles downtown Hollywood. Budget wise, no problem. I would like to take a tour around Hollywood. I rather not rent a car preferably.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,426 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

What hotel have you found?

RedLineTours.com offers a walking tour of the Walk of Fame area.

Starline Tours offers lots of tours of Hollywood and other parts of L.A. Here is their list of tours that originate from Hollywood:

www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tours.asp

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Oh, so sweet of you. Thank u so very much

...now i have an idea. Awesome. Loews Hollywood Hotel will be my chosen hotel preference. Any suggestions??? I read a review on this site and it recommends this hotel. Thanks, HopSkipJump!!!!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

You will not need a rental car for Hollywood if you are staying at Loews. The traffic in the Hollywood/West LA area is a complete nightmare. If you do not want to take a taxi to the hotel, there is a FlyAway bus with connects the airport to the Red Line subway, in downtown LA.

The Walk of Fame is right outside your hotel, and Universal Studios/City Walk is a short ride on the Red Line subway from you. Honestly, I am not sure what there is for sightseeing in LA. There are plenty of tours that originate in the Hollywood/Highland area, and the hotel can help you pick the right one. You can also take the Red Line to downtown LA to visit Chinatown, Japantown, and to see the Disney Concert Hall.

The only thing I ever to go West LA or Hollywood for is shopping and nightclubs. If you wish to go shopping, one nice place to visit that is not close to the subway is the Santa Monica area, where they have a very nice outdoor shopping promenade, as well as the boardwalk area. You can easily take a taxi or bus there. While I generally do not care for buses, the ride is mainly through West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica, so it is not a bad ride. You can break it up by stopping at Rodeo Drive, as well as the Century City shopping center, which is a large outdoor shopping center.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Hollywood takes about 2 hours to see, so don't expect much. Plan other places to visit while here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Your are so so informative. I will take ur advice here. Exactly what I would do...thank u soo soo very much. Awesome sight here.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,411 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time visitor to los angeles, ca

Loews is a great hotel and Hollywood won't take that long to see so there are other things you might want to look into like Downtown LA, which you can reach by the subway, and downtown has cool areas like Chinatown, Little Tokyo and the LA Live area.

www.downtownla.com/4_07_neighborhoods.asp

You should also look at the Hop On, Hop Off bus. That can get you to Beverly Hills, The Grove & Farmers Market, La Brea Tar Pits and more. See the link below.

starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

Edited: 12:20 am, December 09, 2012