We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hrs in LA

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
4 hrs in LA

hi all,

i am arraving at LAX from dubai via emirates, and then is flying to SFO after a 4 hr gap.

I am arriving at Bradley Intl terminal and departing from terminal 5 via delta flight DL4609 .

can someone please guide me how to change the terminals, I believe that i will have to collect the luggage and then clear immigration and recheck in, is that correct.

is there any possiblity of going out to see something?

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hrs in LA

There probably is no time to leave the airport area. The terminals are well marked and you can walk between them.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hrs in LA

You won't have time to go see anything, most likely. The airport is very well marked, and there are people who will help you. You will go through customs and the bag will be checked through to your next flight.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hrs in LA

Here's a map of the terminals at LAX:

los-angeles-shuttle.com/lax-airport-map.htm

The Tom Bradley International Terminal is the long narrow pink on in the upper left corner of the map. Terminal #5 (which is marked with a black '5' inside of a little white circle is a little bit below the Bradley Terminal). There is a grey street and adjacent sidewalk (see map) that connects the terminals together. Upon arrival, exit the Bradley Terminal, turn right, walk to terminal 4 (1 to 2 minutes) and then keep walking (another 2 or 3 minutes) to terminal 5. There is also a free shuttle bus that connects all of the terminals but walking will, most likely, be just as fast since the shuttle runs every 10 minutes or so but the walk takes only about 5.

Upon arrival at LAX, you'll need to do a number of things, some of which could take longer than expected:

1. Land (your flight might be late in arriving or there might be a shortage of available gates so the plane will have to wait for one.

2. Exit the plane. If you're flying a jumbo jet and are seated near the rear of the plane, it can take as much as 20 or 30 minutes to get off the plane.

3. Walk to Immigration/Passport Control which might be packed with other passengers waiting to be processed.

4. Walk to baggage reclaim which might be packed with other passengers waiting for their luggage.

5. Walk to Customs which might be packed with other passengers waiting to be processed.

Ordinarily speaking, these first 5 steps take about 90 minutes.

6. Walk to the terminal's exit and then to your onward terminal -- 10 minutes.

7. For your onward flight, you need to be at the terminal at least 1 hour before departure. So, if all of the previous steps happen 'on time', you would have 1 hour, 20 minutes to explore the local area. You would have to do this by taxi and the closest destination to visit would be the Manhattan Beach area (which is, technically, outside of the city of L.A. but is a pleasant seaside community where you scould take a walk on the boardwalk, and have a meal/snack/drink. A taxi from LAX to the Manhattan Beach Pier area of Manhattan Beach will take about 15 minutes, each way. So, with a return transfer of 30 minutes, that gives you 50 minutes to spend at the beach.

That's not a lot of time and besides, getting a return taxi to LAX can be tricky since taxis do not roam the streets of Manhattan Beach. You have to arrange for one. (You can ask the driver who drops you off in Manhattan Beach to return for you in 45 minutes but if he/she is late or doesn't appear, or order a different taxi for you you could miss your connecting flight). I would suggest writing down the phone number of the taxi you take to Manhattan Beach (it will be written on the outside of the taxi or ask the driver if he has a business card). Then, I would call the taxi company and arrange for the taxi directly. Ask them to pick you up at the foot of the Manhattan Beach Pier.

Of course if your flight is 20 minutes late in arriving, and the queues at customs, etc are delayed by 20 minutes, that leaves you with just 10 minutes to spend at the beach which wouldn't be worth your time.

If you can delay your flight to San Francisco, there are hourly flights on southwest.com from LAX to OAK (another airport serving San Francisco). Fares are inexpensive and the frequent schedule would allow you to design a mini-visit to L.A. to suit your needs.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hrs in LA

sorry I could not understand

"the bag will be checked through to your next flight."

I need to get the bags myself and do a checkin again on delta right ?

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hrs in LA

great thanks for the detailed response.

6. Re: 4 hrs in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013