We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles in March

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles in March

Hi, am looking for some help here pls....I'm hoping to visit L.A in March with my 2 kids ages 22 & 12. I've visited here about 8 years ago staying around Sunset Boulevard but without the children. We'll probably be there for around 12-15 days with plenty of sight-seeing, my kids haven't been to USA before!! Any advice on where to stay that would be safe for me (female) and them to stay???thinking maybe Santa Monica as we would have the beach to relax...What would the weather be like at that time of the year??would i need to hire a car to get to all the tourist sights or would the public transport be ok???Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks in advance

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles in March

If you want to see popular Tourist attractions, such as Theme parks and have access to Public Transit, I would split the trip.

A week in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area near Disneyland, and then a week in the Hollywood.

The beach areas are not the best weather wise in March, so I would just do a day trip to check out the area instead.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles in March

You would need a car when visiting, for sure. Only consider staying near Disneyland if you are spending more than a day there (although I didn't see in your post a reference to theme parks, I'm just chiming in to the above advice, which is - don't stay in Anaheim/Garden Grove).

Santa Monica is a great base, but March is not beach weather - it may be sunny, but not necessarily warm.

With so much time to visit the area, I suggest also visiting Santa Barbara and/or San Diego.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,419 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles in March

March will probably not be the best beach weather. Water too cold, air temps. tend to be cooler, too. What is best about that time of year is that hiking and other outdoor activities are very pleasant. It is wildflower season so our mountains are great, usually with plenty of water and flowers (google Santa Monica Mountains hiking). But the best place to visit in March is the deserts. Both Palm Springs and Anza Borrego are great desert locations. You could even plan a few days in Palm Springs to see AB and Joshua Tree National Park.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles in March

12 days is too long to spend in one place. As mentioned, Santa Monica won't be warm enough for swimming or even 'sun bathing' but you could walk along the boardwalk (aka 'the strand') and hire bikes and ride through the neighboring beach cities on that same Strand which is quite lengthy. There are also hikes in neighboring Temescal Canyon plus sights to see within Santa Monica itself.

As far as the best place to stay to see 'all of the touristy things', L.A. is extremely spread out so 'all of the touristy things' are not next to one another. Many, many people visit L.A. with an eye toward going to Disneyland, for example, which is not in the city nor the county of L.A. so in order for us to make the best recommendation as to where to stay, we'll ask that you do some research to uncover what specific sights you'll be visiting. Our city is not one in which you can check into a hotel and then 'wander around' looking at sights. There are a couple of sites near every hotel but most are far away -- especially if you're relying upon public transit.

Our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page has a wealth of info including an 'itinerary ideas' section as well as a section for finding additional resources about L.A. One of these is the DK Eyewitness Guide to L.A. (google it) which has a 'top 10 attractions' list. If you're using a tablet or 'smart phone' to access tripadvisor, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the home page and click 'full site' in order to see the TOP QUESTIONS box at the right.

Re: safety, the lovely contributors on this forum recommend only quality hotels in safe neighborhoods. If you're a man trained in self-defense who carries several guns, knives and nunchucks, you get the same recommendations as a woman traveling with her children. So, no worries, re: safety.

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles in March

Many thanks for all your replies...I'll research the trip some more & narrow down the places we want to see..Thanks again:)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles in March

Are your kids boys, girls, one of each? What is going to interest them? You could spend some time in Santa Monica and then time in another city like Santa Barbara in the north, or south in San Diego or Newport Beach/Laguna Beach in Orange County. It all depends on what you want to see and do.

The average high in Santa Monica in March is 63, so yes, probably too cool to sun bathe.

Paris, France
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles in March

My point of view is staying at Santa Monica in March is not a good idea because at this moment of the year, the sea is cold and it's not really fun to stay on the beach doing nothing. The best place to stay is Hollywood Highland because, you could walk on hollywood blv and sunset strip at night and there are lot of restaurant, bars, pubs, clubs, theaters nearby. it's the central point in LA. North : Universal studios is really unmissible, book online and you could get 2 days for the price of one day. Your family will really enjoy passing two days in Universal Studios Theme Park. West : santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills. North East, gripphith park and hollywood sign, don't miss a hike trail in griffith park around hollywood sign. South : Downtown for Walt Dysney Concert Hall, El pueblo, California Plaza and the really impressive cathedrale. Don't miss the very large street market around the 12th street / main street, you could buy anything for nothing. its larger than he Grand Bazar in Istanbul. West : Century City for shopping. Gitty Center for architecture. South West : LACMA is really impressive if you like modern art.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles in March

Interesting, I have the complete opposite opinion about a beach visit in March. I think it's a perfect time...unless you're looking for a warm sunny experience.

Parking lots are empty, walks along the beach are relaxing and free from hoards of people, restaurants are easy to be seated at, hotels are light, and traffic isn't bad.

I would much rather walk along a Southern California beach in March than deal with Hollywood/Highland.

Dr. Z

Concord, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles in March

I agree with Dr. Z. I visited Newport Beach in the winter once and it was so quiet and beautiful. We watched the waves and the sandpipers (shore birds) and walked along the beach. Not good for swimming, but great for exploring and having peace and quiet. Depends on your interests, but could be fun for a couple days.

10. Re: Los Angeles in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 16, 2013