We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

My partner and I are driving from LA to San Francisco on the 26 th Dec by rental car..Would it be easier to rent the car from Hollywood where we are staying and start the journey from there or should we catch a shuttle to LAX rent our car there and start the journey to San Francisco there.. I'm just looking for the easiest route out of LA..Thanks

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

REnt the car from a booking site that takes care of all insurance issues for you, like carhire3000.com then request a one way car hire. You'll need a car in LA, if you want to have travel times to sights in half the time. But where you rent has a lot to do with which company and office will charge the least for the one way rental (I'm assuming this is a one way rental).

Whether you begin your drive from LAX or from Hollywood to SF, makes no difference.

Edited: 8:25 pm, November 18, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Last year we did a similar drive but hired the car from LA to SF and collected a car from the airport and had it in and around Hollywood. It was good cause we could get out and see more stuff cause there wasn't much in Hollywood itself so we went to Santa Monica and the Farmers market and the Grove and places so we were't restricted. Traffic was never extremely bad per se but it was crowded. Remember too if you have the car you can leave early in the morning if you want to 'beat' traffic. When we left LA heading north it was crowded and under speed but was still moving probably took about 1 hr max to get out to open highway

Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Ok thanks for that..Much appreciated..I guess with the perceived traffic congestion and driving on the other side of the road etc makes driving in the LA quite intimidating..But I'm a confident driver so I think I ll proberbly will hire a car and drive around LA

Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Ok thanks for your reply..We have arranged for a shuttle to take us from LAX to Hollywood on arrival so we will proberbly hire a car in Hollywood do a bit of site seeing and on the 26th leave from Hollywood to San Fransisco.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Just be mindfull of the rates in picking up car in Hollywood vs LAX even though you pay more in Airport fees etc the daily rate and therefore the overall rate still worked out cheaper from the Airport location

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Two separate friends of mine booked their hire car through Hertz .. pick up was at the Loews Hotel in Highland Avenue Hollywood. they then drove down Highland to Sunset Blvd . .and followed Sunset through the Hollywood area .. then past beautiful homes of Beverly Hills and right down to the Pacific Coast Hwy .. it's a lovely drive .. better than getting on a freeway. (You can follow it on Google Maps)

From there they stopped off in Malibu for a coffee at the Cross Roads shopping area .. then onto Santa Barbara for a nice stroll around the town and lunch before heading to Cambria for an overnight stay.

In the morning, you can do a tour of Hearst Castle, which is just north of Cambria ... then continue along the most beautiful part of the highway onto Carmel .. they both spent the night in Carmel ... checked out Pebble Beach (one is a mad golfer) .. but Carmel is a lovely town.

In the morning they had a look around Monterey before heading in San Franciso. You don't need a car in San Francisco, so what they did was check into their hotel and dropped off their luggage, then returned their hire car to Hertz at Fishermans Wharf ... then spent the rest of the day at FW and dinner before heading back to their hotel.

All worked out perfectly.... so I hope yours does.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Two thoughts.... price it both ways (including the cost of a shuttle to LAX) using a site like carhire3000.com and if I was starting a trip from LA to SF along the coast I'd start at LAX since you are already on the coast and Highway 1 is the northern border of the airport.

http://goo.gl/maps/TOqwp

8. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 19, 2012
Gorokan, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

Just returned from huge driving trip and have previously done LA to SF also stayed West Hollywood. A car is a must in LA and we spent a fortune in cabs to see things. So here are my tips.

Join United Mileage Plus or Delta Sky miles does not matter if you fly with them. Once joined they have a code on website you can use to receive a slightly better deal on car rental. We used Hertz and it came with the two most important insurances those being no cost to you for damage to car and the other injury to other persons.

Once you have the code just jump on Hertz website type in dates choice of pick up locations and the rest is easy. You can pay in advance in AUD thus reducing International transaction fees. I don't think it costs any more where you rent and return from and no one way fees for your trip

Don't buy fuel package just fill before you return car (got ripped of in Florida for this one paid for full take used half).

GPS is a must and if you have one just buy North America maps. We bought one in US already pre loaded with lifetime maps.

Also just check road rules like turning right through a red light and four way intersections with stop signs can be a bit un-nerving. Should be links from your NRMA or AAA in USA

Have a great trip

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car from Lax or Hollywood

We couldn't get a connection with our GPS, at 4 different spots, so we just looked at the good old AAA maps ... I must admit, I'm a map girl from way back and all the times I've been to the US, always used them.

Now in LA, I just go with the flow as I've come to know the city well. It's very easy to drive around .. and the signs for exits are well placed well before you hit the exit you want.

Good luck.