We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

Hello, we are fying in from Miami in to LAX at 7.30pm with an international flight at 10.00 pm.

1)do we need to clear customs immigration at LAX or can we do this in Maimi

2) would 2.5hrs be enough time transit.

Any thought would be great

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

There's no immigration or customs at Miami nor LAX as you are not leaving one country and entering another. You'll do those things at your final destination. 2.5 hours is plenty.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

Thanks for your reply. I was thought since i am boarding an international flight at LAX that i have to collect my bags, go through customs & immigration?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

I believe Hop misunderstood you question. Yes you most defiantly go through immigration at LAX. 21/2 hours should be more than enough time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,816 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

HSJ is correct. No customs needed if you fly from MIAMI to LAX and board an International flight to Melbourne. If you purchased the entire journey on one ticket from Miami to Melbourne and the airlines have an agreement to transfer bags, then your bags will be checked directly through to Melbourne.

Edited: 2:40 pm, November 10, 2012
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

Well I have done a bit of International travel. I have yet to leave one country for another without going through Imigration turning in my Tourist Visa ect.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,173 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

There is no customs or immigration when you LEAVE the USA.

"Immigration" is when you enter the country not when you leave.

"Customs" is to make sure you don't bring anything illegal into the country not when you leave.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

I have never gone through either immigration or customs when I leave the US. Unlike many other countries there is no exit check when leaving the US. Other countries do have an exit check when you leave. Your airline will check your documentation to make sure you can enter the country you are flying to.

There was one time when I left the US that I was checked by some officials, I don't know whether it was immigration or customs or some other departments. But they asked me how much cash I was carrying on my way to Europe.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

Thanks everyone for all your responses.It was most useful.According to all of you i think 2.5 hrs should be plenty of time.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

The fact that you are asking about the time, and don't mention times given by the airline makes me wonder if the two tickets were purchased separately. You don't say what airline(s) and what terminals. Would both flights be purchased together? Assuming your bags will be transferred, even if you have to transfer terminals (and go through security), 2.5 hours should be enough. But you leave out details. Have you asked the airline(s) involved?

You will NOT go through Immigration or Customs but will have to show your passport to the airline, and maybe at the security line (if it's the Tom Bradley Terminal for your departure), as you will have at MIA.

Edited: 7:04 am, November 11, 2012
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 2.5 hrs enough transit at LAX

You go through passport control and security screening, checks done by the airlines and TSA agents.

Airlines will have guidelines on how soon your baggage must be delivered before your flight. For international flights, 2 hours is typical, but you should check with your carrier. Many of them have guidelines posted on their websites.