We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Me and My husband are visiting LA in November. We are staying with our friend in Orange county for the most part. But we want to stay for a night in a hotel in LA area to get a good feel of the nightlife. We are considering to stay near LA downtown (Omni) or in Beverly hills(Thompson/Avalon). which of these will be better. I really wish we can stay in both places but we have to choose.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,696 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

The Omni is better than than anything in Beverly Hills since the nightlife is minimal, but Hollywood or West Hollywood would be better for nightlife than Downtown.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

I'd wonder what exactly you're looking for in terms of nightlife. In general, I'd agree with scott. Hollywood and West Hollywood are probably better for your purposes. Hollywood skews younger. West Hollywood has better restaurants. Yeah, Beverly Hills isn't a night life kind of place. Downtown has some very good nightlife. But, we'd need to know what you're looking for. It isn't all concentrated in a single convenient location. The Omni is an excellent hotel, but the immediate neighborhood probably isn't what you're looking for.

Again, a little more detail on what you're looking for would be helpful.

HTH

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Thanks scottca075 and HTH for the information. What I mean by nightlife is a good restaurant to dine, take a walk down the streets and then hit one or two descent nightclub. West hollywood on the maps seems closer to west hollywood than Downtown. What would you recommend in my situation. I have never been to LA and have no clue how things are.

Thanks

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Omni is nice, but I really don"t think there is much downtown.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,420 posts
6,007 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

I would probably opt for the Omni but plan to take metro to Hollywood Highland area for the night life. There are good restaurants downtown LA near the Omni; its worthwhile to have a drink at the top of the Westin (circular bar whcih is great for the views), but I would spend time in Hollywood for the night life. Beverly Hills is sort of dull - unless you are invited to a private party.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Thank you all for your valuable advises, we have decided to book Omni and go to H&H to catch some night life. That being said please help with following questions

1. we will have a car would it workout better money wise if we drove up to Hollywood and pay for parking there or take a cab both ways. What is the best place to park around there?

2.I know that west Hollywood/Hollywood has lots of places to go but any particular recommendations would greatly help us. We are young couple 25 - 30, please advise a place suitable :).

Thank you all again

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,696 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

There is lots of night life in Downtown as Hitch alluded to, but it is different from the night life in Hollywood and Hollywood is different from West Hollywood.

Cool clubs are Elevate Lounge, The Standard, The Crocker Club, The Edison, The Vault, Caña Rum Bar, The Onyx Lounge, Silo Vodka Bar, The Varnish Bar, Seven Grand, The Library Bar, Cicada Club and Rivera.

And that isn't even touching the clubs and bars in Little Tokyo or the strictly bars in Downtown (as opposed to clubs). Downtown is probably the hottest scene in LA right now just because it is the newest.

Bars like the Broadway Bar, Casey's Bar, Cole's and the Golden Gopher harken back to LA of the 1950's or even 40's.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Great list above. Downtown has better nightlife than Hollywood, I think.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

Scottca - Thanks for that list, we are staying at the Omni on an upcoming trip and the "213 Nightlife" bars are exactly what we woudl be looking for.

10. Re: A night stay in Omni LA vs Avalon or Thompson Beverly hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 07, 2013