We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

While that is not exactly correct, for the most part it is true. You MUST have a special FasTrak Transponder to use the far left lanes as of November 10th, 2012. The Transponder can be set to 1, 2 or 3 or more folks, and if you have a transponder and a group, you will not be charges to use the lanes (though you might have to pay a small monthly rental fee for the transponder).

So if you are renting a car, more than likely you won't be able to access the lanes, unless the rental company offers a device, which they more than likely will charge a per day fee for.

You do NOT want to go into these specially marked lanes without a Transponder, as they will have special cameras designed to take pictures of license plates. The ticket goes to the registered owner of the car, and for rental companies, they have a clause in the contract that allows them to charge your credit card for the cost of the citation, which can reach $100's of dollars plus an administration fee.

The I-10 lanes are scheduled to convert early next year.

The I-405, I-5, 22 and 55 freeways special lanes are still "standard" Carpool lanes, where anyone can use them is they have 2 or more folks in the vehicle.

https:/…index.shtml

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

Yeah, I noticed this the other day when I pulled in as I like to. "Beep..beep" my FastTrak unit went. So I assume they are already charging. Not thrilled with this. But, this seems to be the future California has chosen for itself.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

If you read the link above, they are "testing" the system, and you were not charged. The fees start November 10th.

In Orange County, there is a big hearing tomorrow that is looking into what to do between the 55 and I-605. The special sales tax for transportation (Measure M2) should cover up to two more lanes in each direction, but some want to add "FasTrak" to the Carpool lanes, basically the same as the I-10 and I-110, where you get in free if you have the FasTrak device and a carpool, but also charge for those who want to enter without any passengers...

ocregister.com/articles/lanes-375091-alterna…

Also note, the Orange County Toll Roads are planning to remove all their manned collection booths and go to a "FasTrak" only system, no official date yet, but some folks think January 1st, 2014 will be the official end to cash tolls on roads like the 73 and 241.

Edited: 11:00 pm, October 21, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

This was all part of the congestion pricing money that LA got when NYC decided that they didn't want it after being initially awarded money from the feds. IIRC this was awarded under Bush which shows you how long it takes to do something relatively simple.

Carpools will still be free, but I don't have a Fastrak because I don't want to pay the monthly fee so I guess that I can no longer carpool on the 110,

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

The monthly 'account fee' is $3 unless you make more than 4 trips or link a Metro TAP card to your account.

5. Re: I-110 to stop offering "Carpool" lanes as of 11/10/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 02, 2013