We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown

I will be in LA for two days. Staying near Union Station. What is Chinatown like after dark ?. Not late just early evening ? No car.

Any suggestions for restaurants in the area. Again no car.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown

It's well lit and full of people. Restaurants and shops are open late. I like Yang Chow -- the 819 N. Broadway location.

http://www.yangchow.com/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown

I have walked between Union Station and Chinatown many times...

You can also opt for using the LA Metro Gold Line if you don't want to walk...

www.metro.net

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown

Chinatown is fine.

Check out Philippe the Original, Empress Pavilion and Hoan Kiem.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown

From Union Station you are also near Little Tokyo and Olvera Street. Olvera Street has La Golondrina Cafe, Luz del Dia, and a few others (avoid El Paseo Inn).

The Chinese food really isn't that great in Chinatown anymore! Empress is really awful these days. You will do better with Vietnamese there.

In Little Tokyo an old favorite is Suehiro, but there are plenty of more expensive and upscale choices these days.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown

Also head over to Little Tokyo (Gold Line, Little Tokyo stop). Nearby and very lively, walkable, many apartments nearby. Japanese food, obviously, but other choices also such as Lazy Ox Canteen and Spice Table. Also Geffen Contemporary Museum and Japanese American Museum are there. All the places above are within a 3 block radius of the Gold Line station.

I think Chinatown has an occasional gallery walk evening. Not sure when.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown

If you're there on a Friday or Saturday night, be sure to check out all the galleries.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown

>>>Empress is really awful these days<<<

Empress is fine, I just ate there last week with several of my Chinese associates and they thought it was good.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown

I agree. Little Tokyo is a much better option than Chinatown. It is lively well into the evening with many restaurants to choose from. Moreover, they are not all Asian. There's also some interesting retail.

If you're staying near Union Station, the Gold Line or taxi is a good idea. I'd take a taxi because the drive is so short. The walk along Alameda isn't pedestrian friendly. Have the cab drop you off at the Miyako Hotel on First.

I'd highly recommend Philippe's on Alameda near Chinatown and Olvera Street. It is just north of the gas station.

Traxx at Union Station is a very good upscale restaurant, although I haven't been in a long time.

You can also take the subway to 7th & Metro. From here you can easily walk down to the L.A. Live complex. Lots of bright lights and restaurants. Walk down Figueroa or Flower. There's also tons of great restaurants in the Financial District.

HTH

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinatown

Gold line to Pasadena and venture away too.

10. Re: Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 15, 2013