We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from LAX to Hollywood

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
taxi from LAX to Hollywood

We are coming into LA in Dec. Someone suggested we take a taxi to our hotel in Hollywood and pick up a rental from there vs driving from the airport and waiting in line for a car there.

Does anyone know what the cost is for a taxi? is it per car/per person as we are five people?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

It is per ride not person for a taxi, but no way would I take a taxi and THEN rent a car. The convenience of the car is it saves you $60-80 cab ride BOTH directions and lets you set the agenda of when you go.

The counter lines would not be an issue compared to the expense of the cab ride. If you are checking luggage, send one person for the car while the rest wait for the luggage.

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

Thanks scottca. The return way is not a problem since we are driving to San Diego and flying out from there, hence driving to SAN. Its just a matter of waiting in line for the cars and having to deal with the highway etc.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

To me, the motiviation to not rent at the airport would not be the lines (or traffic, unless it's rush hour), but the extra days of car rental and hotel parking costs, while you stay in Hollywood. What you don't say is where else you'll go in the L.A. area before driving to San Diego. I'd suggest first checking our rental costs (e.g., make sure you can get a one-way rental from the off-airport locations you consider) and parking costs at your hotel. If you're not just staying in the Hollywood area I'd want a car (and might even consider staying elsewhere more pleasant, such as Santa Monica). But the lines at the car rental locations at LAX are not necessarily any worse than you'll encounter in Hollywood (much smaller facilities, and maybe just one person working, and a smaller selection of cars).

If you want to avoid taxi costs, you could take the Flyaway express bus from LAX to Union Station and Metro subway from there to Hollywood. You could also check car rentals at Union Station (Hertz, Budget), or elsewhere downtown (e.g., Avis) either before or after your stay in Hollywood.

Edited: 10:08 am, October 04, 2012
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

Taxis do not charge per person, it's about $60 to Hollywood, and you can hail a van which would fit all of you, and luggage.

The question is finding a car company that allows drop off in a different city, and usually that means renting from the airport location. I would rent the car on arrival. Where are you staying, exactly?

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

we're staying at the orchid suites hotel - do you know of any rental places within the radius? i know i should start looking....regarding returning a car to a different location, generally there is an additional charge if you are not returning it to the same location as you picked up from. The problem arises if you are returning it to a different country i.e. Canada/US

Edited: 1:21 pm, October 04, 2012
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

You've omitted lots of important information:

1. When are you arriving (day/time?) From where? Will you be too tired to drive?

2. What do you plan to do that very day? If you're going to stay near the hotel, then postponing a car might be a good idea

3. Your hotel has free parking so there's no cost benefit to waiting to rent the car to save money on parking at the hotel.

4. What type of car are you looking to rent? How many adults/kids/suitcases?

There are 3 car rental companies in the Hollywood area: Enterprise, Budget and Hertz. Enterprise charges a $200 'drop fee' for one ways to SD and their rates even before adding this fee aren't that competitive

Budget does not offer one ways from their Hollywood location (only from LAX or BUR -- easier to get to than LAX from Hollywood -- but still, a 30-minute bus ride or 20-minute taxi ride).

Hertz offers one ways from their office at the Hollywood Loews hotel. I picked an arbitrary rental period 17 Oct to 20 Oct and the rental came to $298. Renting from Hertz from LAX was $289 for the same period.

However, renting from LAX will give you more choices (especially second-tier companies like Fox) so you will, likely, save some money. On the other hand, we get complaints re: second tier companies far more often than we do from the majors.

If you take a taxi, be sure to tell the driver to 'take La Cienega -- "See EN eh guh" Blvd" rather than the freeways (motorways). This will shorten the distance of the trip and save you money (since the taxis calculate fare based upon distance as well as 'time spent in the taxi'. The route should be about 12 miles / 20 km and the fare should be as follows (assuming you are not arriving during a HIGH TRAFFIC period like morning or afternoon weekday rush hour):

1. $2.85 for the first 1/9th mile + $4 surcharge for taxi rides originating from LAX = $6.85

2. $2.70 for each mile (x 12 miles) = $32.40

3. 50-cents for each minute stopped at a red light or 'stuck in traffic'. WITHOUT heavy traffic, you should spend about 10 minutes stopped at lights = 50-cents x 10 = $5

All in, $6.85 + $32.40 + $5 = 44.25 plus tip ($6.75) = $51. With HEAVY traffic, the ride might take 15 minutes longer which, with tip would come to about $60. The only $80 taxi fare to Hollywood from LAX that I can imagine would be one in which the driver takes the freeway as that would be a route of over 16 miles (adding $11 for distance alone) plus more fare for the type of traffic congestion found only on the freeways.

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

Hop Skip Jump, you are a wealth of information!!!

We are arriving early afternoon on Christmas Day. In terms of type of car, we are five people -three adults, teen and child - and probably two items of luggage - probably looking at an economy car, definitely not a van.

Im wondering, as we are Costco members/CAA, if they waive and fees towards dropping off at another location?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

Costco doesn't have fees to waive. They have special rates with several companies. I've used them, and other companies. I've not seen rental companies waive fees on top of the discount they give through Costco (or AARP, USAA, etc., etc.). So, pretty sure you'd get a discount, but not a waiver of drop-off fees (which are sometimes not listed separately but built into higher base rates). Look at the bottom line renting form LAX vs. Hollywood area. vs. downtown L.A./Union Station.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

I would check to see if the local car rental offices (In Hollywood, etc) are closed on Christmas.

10. Re: taxi from LAX to Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 14, 2013