We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American honey moon dec13/jan14

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
American honey moon dec13/jan14

Hi everyone,

My fiancé and I are looking at going on our honeymoon to the US.

Being that our wedding is during the Australian summer, we unfortunately will be traveling to the US during their winter months - not much we can do.

We are beachy people and love warm weather, so although we really can't wait to see the sites - we are also looking for someone warmish where we can sit on a beach and relax after the exhaustions of our wedding and the christmas rush.

We will be 24 and 25 years old on our honey. Love to shop and love theme parks also! Andd we are lovers of TV shows/movies such as friends, gossip girl, batman, buffy the vampire slayer, and harry potter - so would love some sort of tour.

One last thing, ironically i am a terrible flyer, so i want to reduce the amount of flying as much as we possibly can!

Here is the itinerary we are thinking so far:

Dec 23rd to Jan 18th

23rd - Cancun

24th - Cancun

25th - Cancun

26th – Cancun

27th – Cancun

28th - Cancun

29th – Cancun

30th – New York City

31st – New York City

1st – New York City

2nd – New York City

3rd – New York City

4th – Vegas

5th – Vegas

6th – Vegas then drive to....

7th – San Francisco

8th – San Francisco

9th – San Francisco then drive to...

10th – LA

11th – LA

12th – Hawaii

13th –Hawaii

14th – Hawaii

15th - Hawaii

16th – Hawaii

17th – Hawaii

18th - Hawaii

I look forward to any ideas!

Thanks

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

You'll save time if you drive from LV to LA, then LA to SF. Fly from SF to Hawaii.

It looks like you only have one full day in SF. That's not enough. I'd cut a day from NYC.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

Not enough time in L.A. Our city is really spread out!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,907 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

If you want to see some of the US other than cities, you might want to rent a car and to drive (3 days / 2 nights) between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Daylight hours are short, but the beauty of Hwy 1 will still be there! Read about it in the Top Questions about California on the California state forum page: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… This forum is all about the city of L.A. so the Top Q is loaded with great ideas about visiting this vast city.

Note that a one day drive between San Francisco and Las Vegas is not recommended in January.

I like simba's idea: From Las Vegas, drive 5 hrs (some is through the desert) to Los Angeles. Stay at least 3 nights. Drive 3 days / 2 nights, or maybe 2 days / 1 night from L.A. to San Francisco. Drop the car and stay at least 3 nights.

Personally, I'd pick only one beach destination ~ either Cancun or Hawaii, but not both. Of course it's your honeymoon, but I think it's stuffed too full with not enough time for the few cities you want to see in the US.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

You know that you are going from sunny beaches in Cancun to Snow in NY and crossing our continent. If you say you don't like to fly much, you are doing the opposite of that -- flying into a city to see it for 2 days sounds like too much for too little. Perhaps you could do Cancun and HI and then chose one area say Southern CA from LA to Orange County to San Diego and spend time there by checking out Disneyland, Knotts, Universal and doing some of the Warner brother studio tours. Skip LV and SF and just spend a week there.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

I would skip Cancun for sure - pick one beach, which should be Hawaii. Stay at least on two different islands in Hawaii.

New York will be freezing. And you only have a day planned for LA? LA needs at least 4 days - and it's two days to drive between LA and SF.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I was told by a family member that they did LA in one day...and then stayed in San Diego to do the parks (I think).

Thanks heaps :-) I will take all of this into account :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

What about this itinerary:

23rd – NYC

24th - NYC

25th - NYC

26th – New York

27th – NY

28th - NY

29th – Orlando

30th – Orlando

31st – Orlando

1st – Orlando

2nd – Orlando

3rd – Miami

4th – Miami

5th – Miami

6th – LA

7th – LA

8th –LA

9th – Drive to Vegas

10th – VEGAS

11th – VEGAS

12th – Hawaii

13th – Hawaii

14th – Hawaii

15th - Hawaii

16th – Hawaii

17th – Hawaii

18th - Hawaii

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

In your second itinerary I notice you have cut out San Francisco and added Orlando ?? And Miami ??

What can I say?

Whatever.

San Francisco is a beautiful and romantic city and deserves a visit of at least 4 days. I know Orlando is uber Disney, if you like that, but do you have a plan for Miami?

And since you don't like to fly, get a map and don't forget to add your driving times in.

Your first itinerary did not take into consideration that you cannot drive from Las Vegas to San Francisco in one day. Well you can, but I would not. Further, it is a whole day's drive from San Francisco to LA.

You are reminding me of my first visit to Australia, when I couldn't get it around my head that Australia and the United States are about the same size.

I think you need to be aware of how much territory you are trying to cover in a little over three weeks.

But I hope it works out splendidly for you. And Happy Honeymoon.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

We will only be driving to Vegas. The reason I cut San Fran out is because I was told that I needed a lot longer.. and to stick with the east coast and then go to the west coast on a different trip. Obviously I have to go to LA as thats where we land from Australia and seeing though is only 5 hours from Las Vegas, we can do that short drive.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American honey moon dec13/jan14

NYC is one of the most wonderful places to visit before and during Christmas and most of us who wish for a White Christmas I think would not mind a white New York Christmas

The period between Christmas and NYE will be busy in Orlando at the theme parks and I would avoid them and visit them after the holidays. Miami will be a fun place to visit for NYE