We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose parade

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anna
11 posts
Save Topic
Rose parade

If I am flying to Los Angeles for the Rose Bowl Parade, what is the best reasonable, closest hotel to stay. And should I buy tickets on-line or are they easy enough to get when I get out there. Do hotel sell tickets?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose parade

Best, reasonable, and closest hotel? Those are three toughest criteria. Hotels and motels close to the parade double their rates for the week before the parade. I don't know if you'll have a car. If so you may want to stay farther away from Pasadena. People buy parade tickets a year ahead. You may get some from secondary sellers. I don't think hotels sell tickets.

Anna
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose parade

Thanks for the prompt reply. Here's the deal. I just started planning this trip. I found (on-line) I could book through a travel agency for $3,216.00 for two, which includes 5 days and 4 nights at Radisson Hotel airport, two tickets to rose parade & flight etc.

I thought perhaps I could plan a trip for less. So I came here, but I am lost. I don't know where to stay where we would not have to rent a car. I would like to walk or take a bus to most of the things we want to see mainly the rose Parade and behind the scenes floats, maybe Hollywood and Reagan Library. Where do I start? Need ideas.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose parade

You start by not staying near LAX. Where are you flying from? For the things you want to do, you'll need to rent a car, especially the Library, there's no way around it.

You might find a great deal at a downtown hotel, especially if you use hotwire, and downtown is relatively close to Pasadena. You'll have to search for parade tickets now!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose parade

Eagle Rock is a great place to stay!! A little bit of city life, but very close to pasadena! About 1o min away. As for tix, buy in advance as the price goes up the closer you get!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose parade

Here's the website from the city of Pasadena. Note, though, it hasn't been updated and still shows info for 2012. But there is a phone number that you can call if you have questions now.

visitpasadena.com/rose-parade-rose-bowl-new.…

Staying at the airport would not be a good location for this - or just about any other - event or attraction in greater Los Angeles.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rose parade

First---Look at the Pasadena forum, not the LA forum. Tons and tons of old posts detailing exactly how to do this trip.

If you want a tour, look at the Tournament of Roses site. They have an 'official", sponsored tour which places you in nice, central Pasadena hotels, not out at LAX (yuck).

But there is no need to do a tour. Hotels in Pasadena do jack up their rates and require a multi-night stay. Check prices, and addresses, to make sure they are walking distance from the parade.

Another option--probably the easiest-- is to stay somewhere near a light rail line, preferably the Gold Line which goes to Pasadena and has stops within a few blocks of the parade route. The light rail frees you from traffic and parking considerations. A good option would be the Miyako Hotel in Little Toyko, a nice area of downtown LA which has a Gold Line station. In the past, the Miyako has not raised its rates for the New Year period, and it is very convenient indeed to Pasadena via the Gold Line.

Sharp Seating is the exclusive vendor of Rose Parade bleacher seats and other events, and has been for over 70 years. Anyone else is a re-seller.

We never buy tickets though-- most of the hundreds of thousands of viewers just arrive in the morning and watch the parade from the sidewalk. If you want to do that, let me know and I will provide details on the best way to do it. If you'd prefer to have bleacher seats, contact Sharp Seating. Be aware that many of the bleachers are not in "prime' seating areas, so you are just paying to sit on bleachers, not for a specially wonderful view. And if you choose the Gold Line option to get there, make sure that your seats are within a few blocks of a station.

Edited: 5:51 pm, September 19, 2012
Anna
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rose parade

Gosh, I'm overwhelmed with all the wonderful suggestions. I so appreciate. Now another question. How is old town Pasadena? I am a premium Marriott card holder and would like to stay in one of their properties to get the points. Is the Courtyard Los Angeles decent? Is old town a good location? How far from the parade?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rose parade

The Courtyard in Old Pasadena is a fabulous location, as central as you can get . One block from the parade route, and an easy walk to the "prime' viewing area @ Orange Grove and Colorado, if you opt to buy tickets. Call asap to ask if your points can be used there during that time period--it may be sold out by now in any case. It will be WILD and hectic there on 12/31 and 1/1, as Old Town fills up with revelers and folks camping out on the sidewalk. A room facing the central courtyard would be preferable. To see the parade from the sidewalk around there, you'd need to get up very early. That area will be packed; the area east of Lake Avenue, less so.

I think there are Marriott properties in downtown LA too. Not sure if they are close to light rail stations. The one at LA Live would require at least 2 train transfers, I think: a headache.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rose parade

Or just take a cab from one of the downtown Marriotts to Union Station, and Gold Line from there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rose parade

There are Marriotts and Courtyards and Residence Inns all over "LA" which is a huge, amorphous area. You can stay in any number of areas, including the areas east of Pasadena like Arcadia. Or you can stay in Downtown LA and use the subway, if you want to see other tourist attractions you can stay in Hollywood.

If possible, I'd fly into Burbank, maybe stay in Burbank too.