We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanksgiving in los angeles

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
thanksgiving in los angeles

we are from Australia and will be spending thanksgiving in los angeles. Any suggestions on how to spend the day. Because Thanksgiving is not that big here, we would like to spend it doing something special to get that thanksgiving feeling. Is there any good restaurants to go to. We will be staying at the hollywood orchid suites

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

OK, typical American Thanksgiving, a large meal, usually with Turkey as a main focus, but also other meats, many sides and desserts. Then sit in front of a TV and watch American Football.

Many restaurants offer special "Thanksgiving meals".

Will you have a rental car? Knott's Berry Farm does a great Thanksgiving Day Buffet (seperate than entering the theme park). And a combo deal, where you can enter the park at a large discount. (Located in Buena Park, basically on the edge of Los Angeles and Orange County border).

Theme Parks in general are very popular on Thanksgiving, and all will have very busy days.

It is still a day to spend with family and friends, but more and more are deciding to not spend it at home and cooking, and getting out to have some else cook the meal, plus then do "stuff". Most stores are closed, but a few main ones will be open with special sales. (The day after Thanksgiving is a major sale day, called Black Friday).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

I am not sure why the previous poster is sending you to theme parks for a thanksgiving meal. If you are staying in the Hollywood area, I would suggest you get feedback from Los Angles locals who can suggest a great meal close to you. Also the theme parks referred to above are not in Hollywood or in Los Angeles but in Orange County. But if you like theme parks sure why not spend the long weekend in theme parks

As a visitor to the area, I would suggest you look at www.opentable.com about a month or so before the date. You will see a list of open restaurants and they will have a menu posted and you can read reviews of the restaurant and chose one.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

Knott's Berrry Farm is home of Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, and sells out its Thankgiving Day Buffet, which is hosted in muliple locations throughtout the park, including multpile locations at its Hotel.

It is the largest Thanksgiving Meal serving in the Greater Los Angeles Area, and the best known. Sells out at least a week in advance. (Thousands of meals served).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

If one loves theme parks and is close by or has a car, sure why not, spend the day at Knott's . Nothing like a stuffed tummy followed by a roller coaster ride or perhaps the other way around LOL

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,920 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

Activities? Not much. There is the Hollywood Christmas Parade though on the following Sunday if you are still in town.

The Parade is on Nov 25. Tickets will go on sale in Mid Sept and can be purchased by calling 866-727-2331.

Food? Although I do enjoy Mrs Knotts, and have been going there for years, I would avoid it during Thanksgiving. The proposition of having "...Thousands of meals served..." just doesn't sound very palatable to me.

There are many restaurants right where are you staying. Do you have any favorite type of cuisine?

Dr. Z

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

You do NOT need to go into the Theme Park, many head to the Resort to have their Thanksgiving Meal and then head elsewhere.

Same as with Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Interesting to note, the Theme Park was started to give folks waiting in the long lines to have a meal something to do (Ghost Town). So the Meals came before the park.

knotts.com/california-marketplace/mrs-knott-…

An unique, one of a kind non chain restaurant that serves over 1 million folks a year.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

Darkbeer -- Completely agree that thousands and thousands eat at Knotts. Ok. Are there any other restaurants close to where the OP is staying that they can eat at ? Perhaps we can give them options and then let them decide. I see they have kids and like theme parks so perhaps they are already planning to visit the parks, but are there other places that you know? Or should we leave that to the folks who actually live in LA, the locals to suggest?

Edited: 11:29 am, August 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

Regarding the Hollywood Christmas Parade:

You only need to buy tickets if you're sitting in the grandstands in the TV filming area at the very beginning of the parade at Hollywood Blvd and Highland. Otherwise you can get free seating on the curb or if you're willing to stand along the rest of the 3-mile parade route (Hollywood Blvd to Vine St to Sunset Blvd).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

First off, what is LA? That is a topic that is tough to answer. Should Santa Monica, a seperate city other than the city of Los Angeles, not be discussed in the Al Forum. Many visitors constantly talk about the Disneyland Resort (The largest tourist attraction by far, based on paid attendance). The local "media" (TV/Radio/Newspapers) treat the area as one big location, and uses the term "Southland" to describe it.

The Greater Los Angeles Area is described as >>The Greater Los Angeles Area or the Southland is a term used for the Combined Statistical Area (a group of interacting metropolitan areas) sprawling over five counties in the southern part of California, namely Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Ventura counties.<< And that is a government used term.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles_Area

How about sports? We have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, located in Orange County..

Should the San Francisco board not talk about the Oakland A's, or even the 49'ers when they move across the bay to Santa Clara?

I live in the Southland, and visit places in the city of Los Angeles and Los Angeles County on a regular basis. Just spent the day at Long Beach last weekend (South Los Angeles County). I visit Downtown LA and Hollywood area on a regular basis, also Universal City (Not part of the city of LA, but in LA County), and the Santa Clarita area (Northern LA County).

As I mentioned in my first post, Knott's is located in Buena Park, which is the first city south of the Los Angeles County Border, and for most folks, they have no idea they just crossed over the border (well, except the I-5 freeway gets a lot wider and nicer....).

I do live in the Los Angeles Basin, and have a lot of knowledge of the area....

Also not all DE's live in the area they discuss, in the Anaheim Forum we have a knowledgable DE that lives in Las Vegas.

Edited: 11:43 am, August 30, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thanksgiving in los angeles

Sorry Darkbeer ? Are you saying there are no restaurants in Los Angeles that serve a Thanksgiving meal? I see in post 9 that you talk about sports and counties and even the SF 49ers but there is no suggestion of a restaurant close to the Hotel. Humm I just find it hard to believe that everyone who does not cook at home has to go to Knotts from all the counties in the Southland

>>>Should the San Francisco board not talk about the Oakland A's, or even the 49'ers when they move across the bay to Santa Clara?

No one suggests you not talk about dining at Knotts, and that the Chicken dinner which I have eaten a few times is good and the special buffet that day but all I am suggesting is we give the OP suggestions for other places as well and I don't see any in post 9 so perhaps the locals can help.

I know you are not from Northern California but a small Geography lesson, the Niners are not moving across the Bay. They would if they moved from Candlestick park to O.co but they are moving down the Peninsula. Also if someone asked for a recommendation of a restaurant in San Jose for Thanksgiving, I don't think we would send them to SF for a meal.