We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

I'm going to LA next week for my third time and for work I have to go to the Home Depot Center in Carson.

Now, everywhere I've travelled before I've always taken the budget option and used public transport. I've taken a look on the LA Metro and because of my previous listenings to rap music and the watchings of gritty crime films set in LA the areas I have to go to are setting off alarm bells, Compton, Carson, South Central. I'm sure that during my time in SE Asia I was in some dodgy areas but because I didnt know any better never took much notice.

Now am I being a bit of a wimp and listening to a depressing picture painted by the media or I am in fact rightly being cautious??

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,522 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

You're neither, you're just worrying too much. You will be fine. I have a friend who is from Vietnam and he told me that before he came to the U.S., he thought the entire U.S. was like New York City, paved over and built up. You'll find the U.S. to be different from your perception of it based on commercial media. I don't want you to worry about using public transportation. I think your chances of being forced to listen to rap music are very slim.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

IF it's for work I'd just rent a car and drive there.

Folks going to Home Depot in Carson are just like folks going to Home Depot anywhere else in the world.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

Riff-

The Home Depot Center is a sports venue, not a store.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,522 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

Going to Home Depot Center for a game is safe. Going to a Home Depot store, now that's another thing entirely. All that merchandise stacked to the ceiling and not secured in place - now that's a hazard worth worrying about.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

Yes, the Home Depot Center is a large Sports Venue next to Cal State Dominguez Hills. It is most known for Soccer (both the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA play there), but it also has a tennis stadium, plus many practice fields. It was the pre-season home for the San Diego Chargers for a few years. It also does have a Team Store that is open most days.

http://www.homedepotcenter.com/

It is called the Home Depot Center due to naming rights, but is owned and operated by AEG, which also happens to own the Staples Center and the Lakers and Kings. So the same issue as Qualcomm Stadium and PETCO Park. You won't find much dog food at the Padres Stadium...... ;)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

HEHEHE!! I had no idea! I thought he was going during the day to do some sort of merchandising or something for work!!

Since it's a venue to SEE something IF he's going at night then I'd STILL rent a car!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

You're worrying too much - you'll be fine.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

OK I obviously shouldn't have written any comment on this thread at all. Sorry!

At least Petco has the word PARK in its name and Qualcomm is a STADIUM.

I have no idea what a "CENTER" might be just from reading the name.

The only kind of "center" I know is a shopping center or maybe a position in a game like soccer or hockey.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

As with public transportation in any big city, use your common sense. Don't flash money or jewelry, pay attention to your surroundings and fellow passengers and know where you're going (or at least look like you do). Random acts of violence are rare. I think you'll be just fine. :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I Being a Bit of a Wimp and Overacting !?

Riff, please keep make posts and comments, we all make mistakes (and this case, I feel comfitable with the word "all" ;).

This thread has allowed mutliple people to learn about the Home Depot Center and what it offers. FYI, to me, Center (or like the Hosers and British like to say, Centre) is a gathering place. Many main Olympic Stadiums have been named "Sports Centres". (And I can pick on Canadians as I do have the right to claim to be a citizen (well, until I took the US Military oath and swore off my other citizenships, I think I can also claim Polish citizenship).