We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Looking for some recommendations here. It seems counter-intuitive, but the VIP is the 2.5 hour tour and the Deluxe is the higher end 5 hour tour that includes lunch in the "dining room." I'm taking my 16 y/o son to LA next month for college visits and we have a day to explore. He is interested in movies and film and is a die hard fan of The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. MInimum age for attending a taping is 18 years old, or I would have tried that.

Is the Deluxe tour really much better? I know there is no guarantee of what sets you will see, or what actors you may spot, but I'm hoping to get some good advice to increase my chances. We will be going on a Monday (I noticed that Big Bang Theory tapes on Tuesday and Two and a Half Men on Friday), for what that's worth.

Which tour would you recommend? I think the Deluxe has only 1 time per day (10-ish) but the VIP has several times. Is morning better for a chance of spotting a favorite actor? What time do the actors usually have to arrive on set?

A Day in LA Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
We Love LA Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
LA Insider Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Bikes And Hikes LA
Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

This is a tremendously helpful thread. Like Hangdog, I am heading to LA for college tours with my son. He is interested in Film Schools. We toured UCLA last year on our way to Hawaii and now return for tours of USC, LMU and others. I hoped to take him on a studio tour where he would see a working studio, especially some of the behind the scenes jobs as he is not particularly interested in acting but rather film production. The review from Steve995 was so helpful. I thought about splurging on the Deluxe tour as the day we tour will be our son's 17th birthday. With Steve's info, I am confident the VIP tour will work well. Now, to look for tickets to the filming of a show that permits 16/17 year olds! Moms

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Does anyone have a more recent review? We will be going in mid-October 2013, and I am wondering the same question as started this thread.

@RCGillsy - Hope you and your son had a good time on the VIP tour, and that your son found a great college to attend. If so, he will have ample time to stalk the "talent" by L.A.'s excellent public transportation system! I was going to recommend hanging out on Rodeo Dr. in Beverley Hills, which is where I've spotted the most movie stars in the past. Wondering if this is still true....?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

MsOrange, I can't imagine that the naturet of the two tours has varied much over the last 1-1/2 years.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

I'm the original poster and we did the 2 1/2 hour tour in February 2012. It was FANTASTIC! I can't say enough good things about it and honestly, we got our taste of Hollywood and then some! We learned so much behind the scenes information, got to see the set of The Big Bang Theory and went to Central Perk and got our photos taken on the couch! When we watch TV shows now, I often find myself imagining what we saw and trying to figure out of it was shot on the lot.

My son was 16 at the time and loved it. We showed our pictures to my 13 year old daughter and she is begging us to go back and take her!

Highly, highly recommend.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Thanks, HopSkip. Intuitively, I agree with you. The variations probably have more with season and what is being shot at the time. Did anyone do the Paramont tour also? How do the two tours compare?

Hangdog- Glad you had a great time. 'Tho' I was raised in the L.A. area, I still find revisiting the classic tourist places and some not-so-classic ones (L.A. Main Library, Disney Music Center, the Cathedral of Mary of the Angels) really worthwhile.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

and even though you didn't ask:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32272-d53…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Thanks, HopSkip! I may have to rethink.... It's hard to resist not walking through those famous Parmount arches! Not tempted by Sony. Will be staying in Glendale and have no urge to venture down to Culver City! LOL

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

I am copying this from my review of the Tonight Show that I attended a couple of weeks ago since you said that you got tickets:

It was so much fun. We got there very early- about 11:30. We were numbers 6 and 7. We got seats on the floor. Before the show, Jay comes out and does a little bit, and then asks if anyone has questions. I raised my hand and got a photo with him. Jay was very nice and seemed very genuine. Then because we were on the floor, we got to go up and do the high-fives with him at the start of the show. It is a very high energy hour with lots of clapping and laughing. In between the segments, during the commercial times, the band is playing- they are excellent. I would recommend the day.

There is no dress code. I wore capris and that was fine. I think it may depend on the guest as to how early you should come. As it gets closer, check the listings. As I posted we did get there quite early, but we could have gotten there about 1:00 and we still would have been fine. The advantage to coming early was that we sat on the floor and were able to high-five Jay at the beginning of the show (and hence I was able to see myself on TV later), but there isnt a bad seat in the house really. Also, if you get there early, you bascially wait in shade the whole time- in 2 locations that you wait. They do have water and lemonade to drink once you move into the second waiting area.

As far as doing both in one day, I guess it would be doable if you went to a early tour, which I also loved. We did see someone from a show that I haven't watched- Sullivan and Sons- taking a break outside. Here is a copy of my review of that:

We went on the VIP tour and had a ball. You are on a small tram and it takes you to a variety of places in Warner Brothers Studios. We were able to walk on the sets of the Big Bang Theory and The Mentalist. We also were able to see the actual props from Friends' Central Perk. You can also see Harry Potter things, Batman cars, the Scooby doo van. You learn a lot of behind the scene things. I would recommend it. It was a very fun morning.

You will get done with the Tonight Show at about 5:15. Both are very enjoyable things. Enjoy!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Sorry, nevermind.. :). I didn't pay attention to the date of January, and thought you were going next month. I am glad you had a good time and that your son loved it. :)

Idaho, United States
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Warner Brothers Studio Tour - VIP or Deluxe?

Can someone please tell me what kinds of food they served on the Deluxe tour? Thank you