We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rush-Hour-Traffic

Luneburg, Germany
Level Contributor
353 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Rush-Hour-Traffic

I know LA is one of the bigger towns and I think there will be some guys travelling by car to work so I know there will be a lot of traffic on the Freeways.

I've been in LA about 10 times and I know the the roads are always crowded and driving on a LA-Freeway is like flying thru an astroid field,

But on my next journey, after 3 days in LA, I want to go north to Fresno and further on to Yosemite NP.

This will be a long drive I know, and so my question is:

Would it be better to wait till 9am when the hardest rush-hour is over or will be the most traffic going the other way, into the city and I can start at 8am or any time I like?

Is there a carpool-lane on the Freeway to Fresno because I'm travelling with a freind so it would be alowed to use them I think and travelling would be much faster and easier in that lane.

PS: It will be early June and I will start at the Custom Hotel near LAX.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rush-Hour-Traffic

Yes, it would be better to wait until at least 9 am before leaving for Fresno from the Custom Hotel. Don't think all traffic is coming only into LA, as many people also work in the west side of LA and even the San Fernando Valley driving from cities near LAX. There are some carpool lanes, but not all the way.

Should be around a 5 1/2 hour drive to Yosemite.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rush-Hour-Traffic

Astroid field! That is a great description. Here is a link that will help you while you are here:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rush-Hour-Traffic

At 9am you will still be in "rush" hour until you get north of the San Fernando Valley on I-5.

4. Re: Rush-Hour-Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, November 17, 2012