We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My mom traveling by herself in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
My mom traveling by herself in LA

Any advice on a good place to stay in d/t LA for my mom who is traveling there for three days in March? Also she doesn't want to drive, so is the best way to get around by taxi or is the mass transit OK? I was thinking maybe staying at the Biltmore? She wants to visit the cathedral, museum of art etc. Any advice is appreciated - thank you.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,419 posts
5,364 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My mom traveling by herself in LA

I would suggest the Omni Los Angeles instead of the Biltmore.

The reasons why - its very close walk to the Music Center and Walt Disney Music Hall. The MOCA is right outside the door of the Omni Los Angeles....i.e. 1 minute walk.

Its "safer" meaning given the location to music center, etc. it feels better to walk here. Biltmore is a tad more street people and we were constantly talked to by them when we left the Biltmore (we stayed there for a night.) The service at the Omni is much nicer...The bar area in Omni is a tad more expensive for a drink; but would feel fine for a person by themselves to also enjoy. It has a very nice fireplace at the Omni (while the bar at the Biltmore would be too intimidating for a single person to go...and the service quite frankly is the pits there.) Omni is much nicer. They also offer service (local within 5 miles) in their car so easy for her to go visit the cathedral. Look for specials at the Omni (we can get rooms often for $120.00 dollar range...although you will probably see higher on the hotel web.). Also sign her up for the OMNI club as they will deliver free of charge; orange juice (or other juice); hot beverage of choice; and the morning Los Angeles times to the room. The bathrooms are much nicer (bathtub, separate shower, large at the Omni). At the Biltmore teeny tiny yuck!. The service at the Biltmore is horrible and would be very intimidating - they could really care less that you are staying there. So please do your mom a favor and don't book her there! We've stayed at both (once at the Biltmore; 3 times at the Omni) last few months and hands down the Omni!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My mom traveling by herself in LA

The mass transit system is inconsistent througout the city. The BEST mass transit is the newer metrorail underground trains. One of the those train lines (the red line) connects downtown with Hollywood and Universal Studios. I would recommend that your Mom stay in Hollywood for the following reasons:

1. It's very central to the things she wants to see.

2. The red line metro rail has a station at the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av, 1/2 block from the Chinese Theatre. This is an area of Hollywood that has gone throiugh a radical transformation. On the northwest corner of this intersection is the Hollywood & Highland complex of shops, restaurants and movie theatres (as well as the Kodak Theatre -- home of the Academy Awards). This area is vibrant and alive until the wee hours of the morning so your Mom will feel safe walking around the area in the evening.

3. She can take the red line train into downtown and get off at the Civic Center stop which is across the street from the Disney Concert Hall, 1/2 block to the Music Center, 1-1/2 blocks to the Cathedral, and 2-blocks to MOCA. (Museum of Contemporary Art). The ride will take less than 20 minutes. Trains run every 12 minutes and the fare is $1.25 (or, if she buys a $3 DAY PASS, she can ride the buses and trains, unlimitedly).

3. The L.A. County Museum of Art (LACMA) is a 20 minute bus ride, again, from the corner of Hollywood & Highland.

4. Also adjacent to the corner of Hollywood & Highland is the Starline Tours coach tour company which runs 1-hour, 2-hour, 1/2 day and full-day tours to every area of L.A. (Visit them at www.starlinestours.com and click on HOLLYWOOD in the red bar on the left).

Downtown Los Angeles is an area of the city that is in transition. It is, largely, still a business district. Most of the area shuts down at night and there is no place to take a walk. I would not send my mother there, alone. If you were together, or she had a car that would be something else.

Here is a link to Hotels in Hollywood. I recommend any of the top 8 hotels in this list. The Orchid Suites, by the way, is an all-suite hotel with each room having a little kitchen -- handy for breakfast or a midday snack. The hotel is located just behind the Hollywood & Highland Complex so it is a 2-block walk to the corner of Hollywood & Highland. Room rates, as you can see, start at under $100. Go to their website for the best rates: orchidsuites.com

Good luck!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My mom traveling by herself in LA

The advice to choose the Omni over the Biltmore is wise. I live downtown and agree. It will be nicer for your mom. It will certainly be convenient for the places your mother wishes to visit.

She can get around pretty well via the Red Line and also the DASH buses. Trips cost only a quarter. Here's the URL for the routes downtown. N.B. Routes and schedules are different during the week and weekdays.

www.ladottransit.com/dash

Couple of details, your mom should know MOCA has two locations: one on Grand and another in Little Tokyo. Both are worthwhile.

The Central Library is a very intersting place. The building and gardens are beautiful. There are a couple of galleries with interesting exhibits.

The only challenge your mom might have with the Omni is the location on Bunker Hill. It is easy to walk down. However, the hike up might be more than she bargained for. Alas, Angels Flight is still not working (the perfect solution). The easiest way up Bunker Hill is at the steps across from the Library on Fifth between Grand and Flower. There's a lovely stairway with escalators which takes you to the top of the hill.

HTH. Hope your mom enjoys her trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My mom traveling by herself in LA

Thank you mini, hopskipjump and hitchkennedy for your excellent advice.

One thing, hopskipjump, I'd be interested to see your list of your top hotels, the link didn't come through on your original post.

Many thanks

Andy

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My mom traveling by herself in LA

Sorry, Chock

(Pilot error)

Here's the list. Top 8 are recommended:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…