We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

We will be arriving at LAX the morning of the 15th (staying at Sheraton Gateway) we were hoping to sightsee that afternoon and all of the 16th. We are leaving early on the 17th to drive to San Fran.

How much will this closure affect travel around the greater LA area and leaving for SF? Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

It's a bit hard to say how bad it's going to be that weekend, but you will surely be able to get around. The section that's closed is just north of the airport, heading north into the San Fernando Valley - you don't need to go that entire distance at all.

Use the 2 (Little Santa Monica) to get across town or use Wilshire or Sunset as throughfares. You can exit the airport using Highway 1 northbound and then hit Santa Monica or Sunset Boulevards for ways to go east. You can still use the 10 going east - but a lot of people will be on it, due to the shut down, and the surface streets may put you closer to scenic sights you'd like to see (like the Hollywood sign).

You can still get to Santa Monica (easily) and Venice (easily) via Highway 1, although again there will be more traffic than usual - still, it's often stop and go, so that's just business as usual.

Head on over to the Hollywood and Highland area but the routes suggested above. LA times and transportation offiicials are begging all of us locals to stay out of Westwood/Brentwood/Entire West Side - but as you'll already be there and you're there to sightsee, you have to go ahead and brave it. If you're staying at that airport hotel the whole time, you still have several places you'll be able to get to.

Driving to SF will be more of a difficulty than usual. You will have to take the 10 over to the 101 and then head north from there. Everybody and their brother will be doing the same thing (500,000 cars usually use the pass on the northbound 405 to avoid the downtown area - now they'll all be over there trying to get through). You may want to try getting up VERY early (the good news is that Sunday morning traffic is always lighter to begin with), OTOH, even if it's stop and go until you get through the San Fernando Valley, it will probably only add an hour or so to your trip to San Francisco - it will be as usual once you've gotten to Valley Circle Drive or thereabouts (on the 101). It's the section between your hotel and the 101 that's going to be impacted, and then of course, between the 101 and the junction with the 405 that's north of the closure.

Good for you for noticing and planning in advance. There's no doubt the traffic will be disrupted/worse than usual, but with a cheerful attitude and some patience, it's not going to spoil your trip.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,426 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

P.S. An alternative for getting to SF would be to take Highway 1 up to Oxnard and join the 101 there - a lot of other people will be doing the same thing, but it's scenic and now that I think about it, couldn't possibly be slower than taking the 10. So - on second thought, I'd recommend northbound Highway 1 as your alternative on the day you leave for San Francisco.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

One good option from LAX that weekend is the I-105 eastbound, and then head up one of the freeways, such as the 110 or the 710 to get to the City of LA area. This way you avoid the I-405 and most of the I-10

Here are two AM radio stations that do good traffic reports, KNX 170 is the main news station in town, and KFI 640, a popular Talk Radio Station.

One alternative freeway I would avoid is the 110 around the LA Coliseum on Saturday night. (7/16), due to a MAJOR Soccer match that is expecting over 90,000 fans.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
4. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

Do not take the 105 to the 710. It will take you too far east and you'll have to backtrack to the 110 anyway. Otherwise, the 105 to the 110 is a good way to go. The 110 north will take you to the 101 into Hollywood

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

Drawback is that the I-110 is part of the main detour of the I-405 north of the I-10 until you reach the 101 to get you back to the I-405.

By taking the I-105 to the 710 north gets you to the I-5 north, which should avoid most of the main traffic issues (aka detour routes). Yes, it would be hard to get to Hollywood, but I think that taking from city streets westbound from the 5 would be a better choice than trying to use the I-110 to 101 freeway detour segments.

Especially Saturday night and the Real Madrid Soccer game that night at the Coliseum, which is just south of the I-10 off the I-110.

IMHO, a few more miles would be worth the time savings.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
6. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

If you do take the 710 to the 5, you can use the 5 to get to the 101 into Hollywood as well. Bypassing the ever-crazy 110 freeway may not be such a bad idea.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

Thank you all for your help! I will print this so I can bring it along!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

I live in the Los Angeles area, and I just went to a meeting about the closure. Everyone involved in the project and in the know was at this meeting. If you are coming into the airport on that weekend. I suggest you take a bus to the Los Angeles train station..From there you can rent a car, or better yet use the metro line, buses, etc to get around..ONLY go to see things in the Hollywood area, or downtown over that weekend. All freeways will be impacted, but the worst situation will be on the San Diego Fwy..from Brentwood to where the 101 freeway crosses the 405. Do NOT go into Westwood, or Brentwood. There are lots of things for tourists to see in Downtown and Hollywood. While downtown go to Music center. Stop in at our amazing central library..Shop on Saturday in the discount Jewelry district, take a look at Central Market, and enjoy good dinning experiences downtown. and also check out the Staples Center area. There is the Grammy Museum there, which is very interesting. Also Downtown are some good art museums. .If you run out of things to do downtown..Take public transportation to Hollywood, or rent a car and park for $4.00 at the Kodak Center. All you need is a validation. Check out Max Factor's..and the usually touristy stuff on Hollywood blvd. You should be able to fill enough time Downtown and Hollywood for the weekend. If you drive ANYWHERE near the 405 you will regret it for that weekend.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

I just read another's comments. It won't be worth it to you to go to the west side. It will be TOTALLY jammed. I heard that from the experts at the meeting I attended. Hollywood and Highland is a good place to go..and so is Downtown Los Angeles.

Do NOT drive in Beverly Hills that weekend as people will be driving from the Brentwood area, through Beverly Hills to go over Canyons to get where they want to go. Just go EAST..As I said see Downtown, the Staple Center area..Grammy museum is there, Art Museums downtown, Music Center, Lots of things to do in Downtown and Hollywood, to take up the whole weekend. If you try to get to the beach..that will be hard too, as people will be driving on the Santa Monica Fwy and the other south part of the 405..to reach the beach to take other canyon routes. If there is ANYway to change your plans and NOT come to LA on that weekend, I suggest do so.

At the meeting run by all those in LA that are involved in the construction and planing for the closure.. They said it could take two or more hours to drive just a few miles in the Brentwood, Westwood, Beverly Hills areas. All canyon routes will be extremely conjested. They are saying if people stay home, it will be really bad..but if they don't stay home it will be the worst traffic jam in the history of Los Angeles..

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: HELP! 405 closure- how will this affect us- 7/15-7/17

And just think....we get to do it all over again next year when the second half of the bridge is brought down!!!!

I'm staying in my cozy Thousand Oaks, thank you very much.

Dr. Z