We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Los Angeles

VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
DC to Los Angeles

We are from DC and are planning a trip to LA. I would also like to visit one of the 2 major attractions(ZOO/Sea World)in Sandiego.

Below is the list of attractions(by priority) we want to see.

1. San Diego ZOO or Sea World

2. Laguna Beach

3. Malibu Hindu temple

(1600 Las Virgenes Canyon Road, Calabasas CA. 91302)

4. Santa Monica/Beverly Hills/HollyWood (prefer to just drive if time permits)

We don't mind a 1 - 1.5 hr drive to reach destination. Please suggest a place where we can stay(can spend upto 80$/day for a single bedroom with Kitchen) and the airport's that would make all these accessible.

appreciate ur response.

Thanks

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
200 reviews
from $79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
181 reviews
from $57.99*
$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
581 reviews
from $49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from $85.00*
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Los Angeles

The Malibu temple can be combined with your visit to Santa Monica. I don't think you'll find a hotel within your budget in Santa Monia, though. Nor in Beverly Hills. Perhaps in Hollywood. Each of those areas of Los Angeles would be a day of visiting, but you don't say how long you are traveling. You would need a minimum of 3 days in LA. The airport here is LAX.

There's a San Diego airport, too, just decide which city you want to fly into/out of - you could choose one for arrival and one for departure. San Diego is a few hours from Los Angeles, Laguna Beach is in between the two cities. Again, with your budget, I can only recommend Econo Lodge or Travel Lodge which are consistently ok.

VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Los Angeles

Thanks Yogachik for the response,

It is going to be a 4 days trip.. 2 adults and 1 kid(5yr). Can u suggest a good itenary so that we can cover the max of the attractions I plan to visit.

I just did a search in Southwest and I get 88$ one way to San Diego from BWI. Is this is a good deal?

R hotels cheaper in San Diego? Do u think I can get a good suite for atleast 90$/day.

appreciate ur reply.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Los Angeles

With a 5 year old - I would recommend Sea World over the zoo (although I love the zoo, Sea World is much easier with younger children). Also, if you have time, Legoland is wonderful for that age. My kids love it there.

The Hindu Temple and Santa Monica can easily be combined in one day - a nice drive up the coast and back home again.

Beverly Hills & Hollywood can be combined on another day depending on how much time you want to spend, etc...

You will have a hard time find accomadations for that price range with a kichenette in the LA area.

$88 on Southwest is a good price. Southwest does not give assigned seats and all planes are 737. However, as you are travelling with a 5 year old, you will get pre-boarding and will easily be able to get 3 seats together. Nice thing with Southwest is they rarely have delays and are very friendly.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Los Angeles

Yes, that's a good deal($88 one way from DC to LA). SD to LA though is at least a 2 hour to 2 1/2 hour drive, without traffic. I know we've had experiences where it took us 4 hours with traffic.

On my experiences with San Diego hotels we've paid at least $150 a night(sometimes $200+/night. I think you should ask the SD forum on where you can find a hotel in SD for less than $90/night. YOu also might want to try priceline to try to get a hotel for $80-$90/night. Some people on here have tried priceline and got a nice hotel for less than $100/night. My friend got the Westin Bonaventure for $60/night a few months ago using priceline. If you're coming during the summer, hotel rates can be high esp if they're located close to the beaches.

When you're in LA, you can visit the Malibu Hindu Temple, and go to Santa Monica, Beverly HIlls, and Hollywood. Malibu is just right next to Santa Monica. SD to Laguna Beach can be an hour to a 1 1/2 hour drive depending on traffic.