We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

theme-park tickets

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
theme-park tickets

We are in L.A. for a week in july and we would like to visit some of the parks. We have a rental-car so we are mobile. What would your suggestions be for the best value tickets?. We would be intrested in Disneyland, Universal, Magic Mountain and a studio tour, but not necessarily all of the above. A few smaller attractions would also be nice. Is it possible to get a reasonably priced ticket to cover all or most of the above?. Thanks in advance, all replies are appreciated.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,200 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: theme-park tickets

it depends on what kind of attractions you would like to visit,

if you want roller coaster thrill rides then magic mountain is full of them and is a good value

if you want a standard studio tour with some rides and attractions then you would like universal studios,

if you want more of a full studio tour then one of those such as the warner bros studio tour would be good.

disneyland is allways fun and has alot to do and is allways a good value for what you get imo.

it should be helpful to you to take a look at some of the websites for the attractions you have listed to see what interests you most here are the websites

disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/list/

sixflags.com/magicMountain/…AllRides.aspx

universalstudioshollywood.com/park_overview.…

http://vipstudiotour.warnerbros.com/

there are some combined tickets, but none that would combine all of these things

mousesavers is a good website that will list current available discounts for attractions as well as other discounts for you which is nice, just click on the ones you are interested in in yellow, they also will show available combination tickets

http://www.mousesavers.com/otherparks.html

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: theme-park tickets

First off, if you want to go to Disneyland in July it will be crowded so you will need more than one day there to do it comfortably. You need to get there at parking opening when the attendance is at the lowest for the first couple of hours. The traffic patterns from LA to Anaheim (in another county) make it hard to drive to Disneyland without leaving very early and encountering heavy traffic, so you should plan 2 or 3 nights stay in Anaheim

Knott's Berry Farm is a good combination of thrill rides, family rides, western themed attractions, and shows (including an ice show in July). It is very close to Disneyland and takes only one day to see. (In Buena Park)

The most expensive park tickets are Disneyland Resort Parks, although with three or more days the average per day is lower. The least expensive tends to be Knott's since they have specials so often. In the summer they have a special in partnership with a local grocery chain as well as an all you can eat BBQ with admission special on weekends.

There is something called the Southern California City Pass that you should look into.

Note: Universal is the only park you mentioned that is in Los Angeles.

Edited: 11:23 pm, April 21, 2011
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: theme-park tickets

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply to my query. I have looked at the mousesavers website and it looks really good for ticket info and savings tips.

We have a spare day available (no hotel booked) before we travel to L.A. so we will be able to stop off near Disney for one night.

RedlandsRedhead's suggestion of a visit to Knotts Berry is interesting, I hadn't considered that before and I visited the Knotts web-site, they have a hotel/park deal. We may be able to combine a visit here with a trip to Disney . Alternatively we might spend two days at Disney and leave late and drive to Hollywood.

Your suggestions have given my fresh ideas and I will look into the possible choices, thank you again.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: theme-park tickets

Another thought is the Go Card:

smartdestinations.com/los-angeles-attraction…

It gets you in to Universal, Magic Mountain, Knotts and Legoland, along with several other attractions including Sony and Paramount's studio tours. It can be a good value if you do several of the items on their list.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: theme-park tickets

Knott's Resort Hotel has a shuttle that takes guests to Disneyland Resort. There is a street that runs through Knott's Resort called Grand. It runs one way from La Palma to Crescent. The hotel is on the corner of Crescent and Grand and across from a tree lined parking lot. Grand is a charming little street that, besides the park entrance, includes the free area called Knott's Market Place with the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, a new location of the famous Pink's Hot Dog (the LA location has been popular with actors), a yummy bakery, and a couple of large gift shops.

There is an open air tunnel/walkway from Grand underneath Beach Blvd. that ends up at the area the includes a replica of our Independence Hall and a duck pond. Knott's Resort Hotel doesn't seem to enjoy outstanding reviews at times, but seems nice enough and is in a nice area.

There is a public bus that runs from the corner of La Palma and Beach Blvd, across from La Palma and Grand and the park entrance,. to Disneyland Resort Main Gate Entrance.

A popular place to stay in Anaheim Resort is the Howard Johnson's Anaheim Plaza Hotel (aka HoJo). The bus stop is across the street and it is a fairly short walk to the entrance. Disneyland View rooms should look out on the Matterhorn and the Monorail, but some rooms are near the freeway. Visit the Anaheim Forum for more info and tips.

Edited: 11:58 am, April 22, 2011
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: theme-park tickets

I am gratefull to all posters for your comments, I have enquired about a stay at the HoJo but they are full on our travel date. I will look elseware for a hotel in Anaheim - also the ticket suggestions are very good, there is an offer through Ares Travel, adult GoLosAngeles 5 days' ticket for $200 at arestravel.com/722_attraction-tickets_a166.h… - the best deal I have found. If anyone knows a better offer, please post.

I know I failed to mention it in my post, but we are interested in a visit to the Getty Center/Villa. The reason I didn't ask was because I understood admission was free however I can't find an admission ticket for the period we are in L.A.

Starting to get excited now and can't wait to get there, see you all soon.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: theme-park tickets

The Getty Museums don't require admission tickets, they are always free and require only parking arrangements to be made ahead of time (free parking as well). The Getty Center is easier to get to via public transit than the Villa. The Villa is a beautiful recreation of an ancient Roman villa and houses only antiquties now. It's very interesting for some people and not so much for others. There has been some controvery about two objects in the collection, which makes it more interesting. I'm not sure if both are still there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,200 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: theme-park tickets

here is a map for you of the disneyland area hotels, the disneyland main entrance is off of harbor blvd where it says east shuttle area

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

you can stay direclty across the street from the disneyland main entrance and easily walk back and forth, or there is the art shuttle service which goes back and forth to disneyland multiple times per days from farther away hotels for a small fee per person.

http://www.rideart.org/index.php?loc=11

if you need help finding somewhere to stay in anaheim, be sure to post in the anaheim forum with your budget per night for a hotel, as well as dates of travel which would be helpful.

also if you are going on your trip near the 4th of july july1-4 for 2011) i would avoid being at disneyland during that time, it will be very crowded.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: theme-park tickets

Getty Center parking is not free. Getty Villa parking is free. Reservations required for the Villa, only. Don't miss the Getty Center, it's one of LA's best features.

…oyster.com/los-angeles-must-see-the-getty-c…

10. Re: theme-park tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 30, 2012