We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in LA

Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in LA

We are going to LA staying in the Regent Beverly Wilshire in December and I was wondering approx how much are you meant to tip for help with baggage etc. Is there a set amount per bag?

Also what is going rate for restaurant tipping in the US these days?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in LA

$1 per bag is 'standard'. Rest usually about 15%. Easy if you look at the tax and double it as the rate is around 8%. Do check your bill as some rest add 15% if they have lots of foreign guests so do check, but mostly you need to add a tip.

Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in LA

Thanks for your help David.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in LA

Also be prepared to tip the car valet, bellman, bartender, and housekeeping. If you travel by taxi, he gets a tip as well. You may have two different people help you with your bags on arrival to the hotel. One who removes your bags from your vehicle and a second to take them to your room.

Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in LA

Ouch easy how much is one day going to cost me in tips? Exactly how much do you need to tip all these people?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in LA

I do tour guiding for people from the UK and Ireland. Tipping is so much different here. Waiters only make $2.15 an hour by law with the difference made up by tipping. The Govt assumes a tip and taxes them on earnings even if you don't tip. Tipping waiters etc is very much expected. Tips for most services are at 15%. Bellman and things like that $1 or $2 is always appreciated. $1 for the maid is very much appreciated. Cabs I usually either go by % or round up and add a $1or 2. Giving a $1 or $2 tip is the best rule even if you aren't sure. The service industry is not well paid here and tipping is the norm. Like anything if the service is horrible or people rude you have no obligation to tip, but understand that we do not add service charges like in Europe so the tip is part of the service. I'd rather get an inadequate tip than no tip. When you don't tip its like telling the person they did a lousy job.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in LA

Meals will be the biggest. If you spend $150/day on meals that's $25-30/day. For the other stuff just make sure that you have small bills ($1 and $5) handy. Maybe $10 per day total, assuming that you're not taking a taxi everywhere.