We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Ireland
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Topic
Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be over in the Los Angeles area for about 2 weeks and will be there for 4th July.

Because we aren't american we would really appreciate some help in planning what to do that day! We are hoping to be staying in Santa monica that week, but possibley might be out in a hotel near LAX. Either way we'll have a car and have no problem driving to anywhere in the area.

So our options so far really are,

1. Baseball game... I read they are having a promotional game for 4th July so I'm thinking fireworks maybe?

2. Disney or Universal maybe? I thought maybe they might have special fireworks/parades etc. although maybe it wouldn't be worth it if it was going to be jam packed with people?

Will there be parades or fireworks etc. in the area? Maybe a day of just hanging out on the beach and watching parades etc. might be best??

Any advice/info appreciated :D

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

The Dodger game, Angels game (baseball) & Disneyland will definitely have fireworks on the 4th. I'm not sure about universal, but it's pretty likley. I believe the Santa Monica pier has them, too. Have fun!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Do NOT stay near LAX.

My suggestions for July 4th are:

1) Hollywood Bowl -- One of my all-time favorite occasions. They know how to do it. They have special concerts for this holiday. So it is irrelevant what the exact program is. Definitely worth splurging for the best possible seats. To simplify logistics, I'd just stay the night in Hollywood so you can walk home from the concert. Avoid parking at the bowl because the parking is so limited. There is a shuttle from Hollywood & Highland. Definitely pack a luxurious picnic. Give yourself plenty of time and bring a good bottle of wine.

2) Regean Museum -- See what is going on here. The setting is very beautiful and throughly American.

3) Catalina Island -- I was here one July 4th a long time ago. I thought the parade through town and the fireworks afterwards were very cute. It was all so tiny because Avalon is so small. Not sure how practical this suggestion is.

If you're here for a couple of weeks, you should consider staying in different neighborhoods for a few days.

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

I'd agree to go to the Dodger / Angel game or Disneyland. But there are a few other options including:

a) The 4th of July concert with fireworks at the Hollywood Bowl - this is a quintessential LA experience - patriotic orchestral music outdoors under the stars. Bring a picnic basket, a bottle of wine and enjoy. The best part is that this concert is presented usually on the 2nd and 3rd of July as well, so you can go to it on one of those nights and still do something else on the 4th itself.

If you want to go, start checking the Hollywood Bowl website (www.hollywoodbowl.org) and purchase tickets as soon as you can - they may not yet be for sale yet but this is a popular event and usually sells out.

b) Fireworks at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena

Edited: 12:37 pm, March 14, 2011
Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Also, just so you know, Angels' stadium has a really good fireworks show after every Friday night game & Disneyland has firewokrs every night in the summer, so you have plenty of options.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Another vote for the Hollywood Bowl, check their website and see if there is a Park and Ride near where you are staying, you can drive to the parking lot and take a bus (specially organized) to the Bowl where the parking is terrible, and after the concert take the bus back. I have done this a lot of times, one year we had season passes.

Hint - take a lightweight jacket or sweater, sometimes it gets really cold after the sun goes down up there. And yes take a picnic.

Ireland
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Thanks everyone! Im definitely going to look into the hollywood bowl for the weekend. Also considering disney but since were only going to do disney one day of this holiday (we've been before) Im not sure if its a good idea to go 4th of july with crowds... I might check out the anaheim forum re: crowds.

Does anyone know anything about fireworks in the Santa Monica area? I think I had just assumed there might be some fireworks over the pier?

Edited: 12:55 pm, March 14, 2011
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

I don't believe that there are any fireworks at the Santa Monica Pier any more. Nearest would probably be in Marina Del Rey.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Regarding Santa Monica fireworks: It has been more than 20 years since there have been sanctioned fireworks displays at the Santa Monica Pier - or anywhere else along the SM beaches. Santa Monica now holds fireworks on the Saturday prior to the 4th at Santa Monica College. A wonderful, community oriented event, but not held on the actual 4th of July.

Ireland
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Thanks for all your info everyone! Just one more question, are there any parades in the area? Or is that even something that happens on 4th july?! (sorry I know nothing about the holiday!)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go and what to do for 4th July!

Usually there are some small parades around the area, but nothing all that major - do a Google search for something like "4th of july 2011 parade los angeles".

Mostly, people spend the holiday at the beach or at BBQ's in the back yard or at parks, etc.