We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tickets to disney and universal

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tickets to disney and universal

Hi ..

i'll be travelling to LA in feb ... from the 18-23 ... i was wondering what the cheapest price for tickets to these two places are ... and if anyone knows where i can get a good deal ... i'm coming in from toronto, Canada ...

also ... what about getting to these sites ... is driving better or taking the subway? i'll be staying in anaheim ... orange county ...

one other thing ... i'll also be visiting LA and San Diego ... (one day each) ... what are must see's and are there cheap but worth while tours?

thanks a million

fats

Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tickets to disney and universal

I've got a voucher for $15 off universal, so i think it works out roughly $40.. A lovely fellow trip advisor sent it to me when i posted i was looking for cheap tickets..

For disneyland i got a Southern California

Citypass.. but that includes 3 days at disney, 1 at Knotts, 1 at San Diego Zoo & 1 @ San Diego Seaworld - It worked out really cheap :)

Good luck

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tickets to disney and universal

If you know anyone in the States that has an AAA (American Automobile Association) membership -- very popular, here) they are offering $35 admission to Universal. You can buy tickets online or at the box office but you must have a valid AAA membership name, number, etc.

Otherwise, Universal is selling tickets on their website for $46 -- that's a $10 discount from the price at the gate.

DL is also offering special offers to people who live in Southern California. If you know someone who can buy the tickets for you (and has a postal 'zip' code in Southern California, there's a 1-day Park Hopper ticket that allows you access to both parks ON THE SAME DAY for $79. This ticket isn't even available to the general public.

As far as transportation to and from Universal and Disneyland:

1. WHERE you stay in Anaheim will determine how you get to Disneyland. There are LOTS of hotels that are within walking distance to DL. My advice is to pick one of those. This way you don't have to hassle with a car at all.

If you are not staying near DL, then you'll need to either take a cab or a bus. There are no subways in Anaheim.

2. Universal Studios is in Hollywood which is no where near Anaheim. Anaheim is a city in Orange County -- an area at the southern end of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Hollywood is a neighborhood (not a city!) within -- and in the center of -- the city of Los Angeles. The distance between Anaheim and Universal is about 35 miles. The time it would take to drive from one to the other varies greatly based on traffic. Rush hour times (6 am to 9 am and 3 pm to 7 pm) are the worst times to drive. At other times, you ought to be able to make the ride in about 50 minutes. During rush hours, it could 1 hour and 30 minutes or more.

To travel by public transportation, would require three steps:

a. Taking a cab, bus or complimentary hotel shuttle (if your hotel offers one) to the nearest train (rail) station. This will either be Anaheim train station or Fullerton train station. If your hotel is between these two, go to Fullerton as the train ride will be shorter.

b. Take a train to Los Angeles Union station (a ride of about 42 to 57 minutes (depending on which of the two stations you leave from) and which rail company you use: Metrolink (the local train company which has a limited number of trains -- mostly during the rush hours) or Amtrak (the national train company) which has more trains.

c. Upon arrival at Union Station, take the redline metrorail train to Universal Studios (about a 25 minute ride). The metrorail trains run very frequently, about every 12 minutes. So the ride all together would be:

The cab ride: 10 minutes ($10) <-- an estimate

The train: 42 to 57 minutes ($4.25 to $6.50) <-- depending on the day of the week, the station you leave from and the train company you select.

The metrorail (subway) ride: 25 minutes -- $1.25 each way (or buy a $3 DAY PASS for unlimited bus and metrorail travel IN LOS ANGELES ONLY)

TOTALS: 1 hour and 17 minutes (or 1 hour 32 minutes if you take the slower train) for a total of $15.50 (or $18 depending on the day/train) each way.

So, it's a little bit longer (20 minutes or so) to take public transportation but pretty inexpensive when you consider that if you drove, the parking alone would be either $10 or $17 (depending on which lot you parked in at Universal) and the gasoline would run about $15 for gas or a total of between $25 and $32 (versus $31 to $36 if you used public transportation).

The other thing to remember is: Since Universal is in the middle of the city of Los Angeles, why not wait until you're staying in Los Angeles before you visit there (or, for that matter, stay one more night in L.A and one less night in Anaheim if you think you will be at Universal for the adjacent day.

There are several poplular tours of L.A. offered by starline tours and grayline tours. Check them out at

http://starlinetours.com/A_daily_tours.asp

(There is a tour, here, that picks you up at your Anaheim hotel, takes you to Universal AND shows you Los Angeles. (Look at tour #9)

or

grayline.com/franchise.cfm/…84

(Grayline offers a similar "combo tour" -- tour #1).

You realize, of course, that it's really hard to tour L.A or San Diego in one day -- kind of like seeing Toronto in one day!! Consider spending less time in Anaheim (you can see more of Micky Mouse in Florida) and stay in L.A and San Diego for a night or two so that you can really experience these wonderful cities.

Good luck and have a great holiday.