We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best transport LAX to downtown LA

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
best transport LAX to downtown LA

Hi everyone,

I am traveling from LAX to the Omni Hotel in downtown LA and need to know what the best form transport would be. It will be around 10pm at night time. I hear cabs are quite expensive so was thinking of taking super shuttle but have read mixed reviews.

Could anyone please give me some advice

Cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

*for 2 people. not sure if there is a private transfer option. but would prefer this

Edited: 11:22 pm, October 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

Main options are:

a) a taxi cab - its actually a fixed rate between LAX and downtown LA of around $47, plus a tip for the driver

b) a shared van shuttle, like SuperShuttle (www.supershuttle.com) or Prime Time Shuttle (www.primetimeshuttle.com) - around $30 for the two of you

c) take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station in downtown ($7 per person) and then take the subway (Red or Purple Line) from Union Station one stop to the Civic Center station ($1.50 per person) - its about a 3 block walk from the subway to the Omni.

d) Take a private car or Limo - Prime Time Shuttle, for instance will do this trip in a private town car for around $88.

Bottom line, a taxi is going to be more expensive than the shuttle for only two of you - but the shuttle can circle the airport to try and fill the van, and can detour along the way to pick up or drop off others. The taxi takes you straight there. The FlyAway / subway combo is the cheapest but you'll be doing some walking and not sure this is the best idea in downtown LA that late at night on your first night in LA. Private car / limo most expensive but also the nicest way to go.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,433 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

Here are a few more options.

1. Option c) from above (the Union Station Flyaway Bus) from LAX to Union Station, transferring to a taxi for the short ride (under $10 including tip) to the Omni.

2. Supershuttle.com offers a service called "Business Express" which is a small van that can hold up to 4 passengers. The cost of this service is $46. Compare that to the other options and it is more than the Flyaway bus options and 'shared vans' but virtually the same as a taxi.

The advantage to this service is that, like a taxi, it happens with little delay and it's door-to-door. Unlike a typical taxi, it is a van (with taller ceilings and more comfortable seats than a standard taxi). There are taxis that are small vans as well but most taxi dispatchers will not allow these vehicles to be dispatched for groups of just 2 persons.

Good luck!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

After a long flight, and dealing with customs for an hour or so, take a taxi. You'll want to get straight to your hotel.. At that time of night, there won't be any traffic, it will be a straight drive there. 2 people in a taxi equals the cost of two people in a shared van (and they can take hours). It's one area that's not worth penny pinching - jet lag can be awful.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

I have considered all options and will probably just take the taxi! I was unaware that it is actually a flat fare.

I am definitely not a person who will want to drive around an airport at 10 at night waiting for the van to fill up!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

I second the idea of cab ... I wouldn't want to be walking around LA at night, or taking different forms of public transport with luggage. I'd pay the extra for convenience.

Have a super time! The dollar is great for your trip.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

If you are traveling alone either the taxi or Supershuttle. If with two, the taxi. That time of night you may be the only passenger. They are not allowed to circle around the airport more than two more times if you are the first one on the van.

For me at night I prefer the Supershuttle, I'd actually rather not be alone with a taxi driver.

Edited: 1:35 pm, October 24, 2010
8. Re: best transport LAX to downtown LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 23, 2011