We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking/drink driving

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
parking/drink driving

Hi,

in visiting tourist sites such as the downtown area, where do people park? What is the average cost? Is it easy to find parking? How does valet parking work?

This may also sound silly, though I am serious, what is the maximum blood alcohol level that CA drivers can have?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking/drink driving

the alcohol thing, it's .08 but you still can get arrested if you are below and something else happens. If you are not from California, you will be held till you see the judge, sometimes that means Monday afternoon. I think it would ruin your trip. If you bail out, which I'd doubt any bail person would do because you have no property they could place a lien on, I would not drink anything. Find a designated driver or cab it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking/drink driving

Thanks plainjohn, that's good advice. At some stage I was planning on hitting the Whiskey a go go, etc. I think I'll do as you suggest

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,704 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking/drink driving

A few things...

The Whiskey (along with the other clubs on the Sunset Strip) are not in the downtown area.

Where are you staying? You might be near good public transportation if you are staying in the true downtown area or in Hollywood because the "redline" metro rail train is reliable and runs often through these neighborhoods.

Do not drink and drive here. Take the train or a cab.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,704 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking/drink driving

The Whiskey and the others are along the "Sunset Strip" -- the area of Sunset Blvd that is west of Crescent Heights Bl and east of Doheny Bl.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking/drink driving

Hi HopSkipJump,

I'm staying in Westwood. The Downtown part was more 'daytime' activities. I realised that the bars are on the strip. thanks for the transport suggestion.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,704 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking/drink driving

Glad to hear it.

Parking can be experensive in downtown.. (About $25 per day). As an alternative, park just outside of the downtown area (west of the Harbor 110 freeway) and walk across one of the freeway bridges into the city or take a bus into downtown. You'll need change to pay the meter where you park your car so have a couple of dollars of quarters handy.

From Westwood, you can take any of the Wilshire Blvd buses (the 20, the 21 or the 720) into downtown. The 20 and 21 stop all along Wilshire Bl and the 720 moves over two blocks to 5th Street as it enters downtown. Pick up any of these buses on the corner of Wilshire Bl and Westwood Bl (or at any number of stops along Wilshire Bl).

For a bus or train route and schedule, go to mta.net and enter your starting and ending locations in any one of three ways:

1. By actual street address

2. By street intersection: MAIN / BROADWAY (<- Don't forget the slash '/' betweent the two streets).

3. By landmark (DISNEYLAND or PERSHING SQUARE or LAX).

The fare is $1.25 per ride but if you are planning 3 or more trips per day, buy a $3 day pass which is good for unlimited riding on the buses and the metro rail trains. Buy the pass from any bus driver (just say: "Day Pass, please" and insert $3 into the cash machine that is between you and the driver) or you may purchase the day passes from the vending machines in the metro rail stations. Although the passes look different depending on where you buy them, they work the same -- unlimited rides for the day on all buses and metro rail trains.

Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking/drink driving

Thanks HopSkipJump, thats very kind of you to go to all that trouble.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking/drink driving

Unless your hotel is downtown, there are not a lot of reasons to visit there. The only places I could think of to visit would be Olvera Street (the old, historical section of LA), Little Tokyo (Japanese-American section) and Chinatown. All three areas have paid parking nearby. Otherwise, most of your sightseeing will be in the Hollywood and West Hollywood areas. Watch out for West Hollywood (where Whisky a Go Go is located.) It's a separate city from Los Angeles (of which Hollywood is a part) and so has different parking restrictions. If you choose to park on the street in West Hollywood, make sure you read the signs!