We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

I am in charge of planning a trip to LA for several couples & need lots of advice. Our main goal is to go to Anaheim for the motorcross races in Jan. 05. I am putting together other things for us to do. This is what I am thinking about so far:

Cruising along Hwy. 1 on choppers (this is for the guys)

Beverly Hills - Rodeo Dr., drive through Bel Air

Santa Monica Pier - at night for the music & other activities

Venice Benice - daytime only for performers & artists

Walk of Fame / Mann's Chinese Theatre

3rd St. Prmenade (I hear it's the place to go)

Catalina Island

Tickets to see some type of show (any suggestions)

Tour (city tour or celebrity tour???)

Clubing / Comedy Shows (don't know the best places to go)

We are leaving all our children at home, so we do not want to do the Mickey Mouse thing. Please let me know if I have left anything out or if something needs to be scratched.

We will fly into LAX.

I need help with a room.

One couple wants trendy and another wants inexpensive.

My mother says LA is not the place to stay.

I am up for any hotel in the area.

Any suggestions of where we could rent street bikes and a car?

Any & all advice will be helpful, beacause I have so many people to please.

Thank You- Thank You- Thank You

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

Looks like a great itinerary! As for Comedy Clubs, you can check out the Ice House in Pasadena or the Comedy Store in Sunset Blvd, both are well known here and very popular. For TV shows, the popular one to see is Jay Leno, and sometimes there is a line to get into this show from NBC studios. Might want to check out the website to see how to obtain tickets for Leno. I've heard that it used to be 'Friends' and 'Home Improvement' was very hard to get in, as well as a couple of other popular tv shows. If you reserve early, you maybe able to get the tickets that you want. Do you have a website of where you can obtain tv show tickets? I just checked this out(just search for "tv show tickets" in Yahoo), and there are a couple of sites that you can obtain free tickets for your party. By the way, from this site it looks like the new show 'Joey' is popular and is booked fast. http://www.tvtickets.com/default.htm.

For places to stay, I always like the Santa Monica area, just because it's near the beach and various restaurants and activities in the area.

Los Angeles, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

Wow, you really did your homework. Your itinerary is great! Another great comedy club is the Laugh Factory on Sunset Blvd. And I would recommend the tours of the stars homes vs. a city tour. You could always do that on your own. I've gone on several star tours and I would recommend just walking around the Mann's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. and comparing prices. It's very competitive, so you can actually bargain. Do not pay more than $20/person!

If you are interested in television, NBC gives a decent tour of their facilities. It is only around $5 a person. But be aware it is not a film studio; they only tape news, soap operas and the Jay Leno show there. But while you are there, why not try to pick up tickets for the Tonight Show? I've done it, and it is very fun!

Are you interested in musuems? I worked at the Getty Center in West Los Angeles (parking is only $5 and admission is free), so it is by far the best deal in Los Angeles! Fine art and a great view. You can see all the way to the ocean on a clear day. People come from all over the world to visit. Also, the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens is another must-see, but at $15 a person, it is not such a bargain. Also, there are architectural treasures all over L.A. you can see for free, just pick up a good guide book.

Let me know if you need any other info. I've lived in Los Angeles my whole life! Enjoy your visit.

London, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

LA is fab and it cater's for all tastes - I would recommend going to the Getty Centre though, I didn't go there for the arts, I went for the views and a stroll around the gardens - it's amazing you can see the whole of LA from downtown, to LAX to the ocean - fab! Also take the Star Spotting tour of the houses around Bel Air/Beverly Hills, cheesy I know and I wouldn't have done it if the bus didn't have tinted windows, but it was alot of fun!

One thing you never really get until you go to LA is it's BIG! on the map you think you can cover lots of things in a day - but.... the freeway becomes a parking lot and most of the time you are sat in traffic, so plan your day's wisely if you want to cover alot of ground or at least have enough time to enjoy somewhere!

Oh and the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) is fabby. Only thing to be aware of is watch your speed, I got stopped on a 'normal' road (doing 70 mph on a 55mph) but managed to get away with not getting a $350.00 fine!

Once you are there though the Hotels and local tourist places will have enough information for you to be able to please everyone.

Have a great time! :-)

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

I'll be another to say the Getty is a MUST SEE! Don't let the "museum" element keep you away...it's a fantastic spot! So much to see....even if all you do is look at the buildings and patios and fountains AND THE VIEWS and never see a piece of art! Of course, DO look at the art! And while LA is "not the place to stay," remember it's the second largest metropolitan area in USA...lots of it is horrible! But Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are gorgeous everywhere you look! And Beverly Hills is right on the edge of the Sunset Strip, where the comedy clubs, so many restaurants, etc. are located.

You'll have a great trip if you plan the location of hotel well....nothing is more tiring and boring and frustrating than spending all your time in those continual traffic nightmares!

Los Angeles, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time around LA, PLEASE help!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. LA and Anaheim are worlds apart. I would recommend staying up in West Los Angeles for the sightseeing part of your trip (the Holiday Inn Brentwood is a nice central location--it's five miles from Santa Monica and 5 miles from Beverly Hills/Hollywood Strip but away from the crowds. It's right off the 405 freeway at the Sunset Blvd. exit, so it is only about 10 miles north of LAX. Also it's only a couple of miles away from Westwood Village which is full of dining and movie theatres. In fact, most movie premieres are actually held in Westwood nowadays. You may spot a star or two!).

As for Anaheim, there are so many hotels there because of Disneyland that you just can take your pick of any along Beach Blvd. Anaheim is about 40 miles south of West Los Angeles, so be sure to keep your rental car!