We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warmest beach - June

san francisco
Level Contributor
503 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
warmest beach - June

Is there a difference amongst the beaches in terms of which would be warmer toward the end of June? (We are family w/ kids, not looking for an upscale place.) We are from SF, the trip is mostly to visit Disneyland, but would like to go to the ocean for a couple of days also. We're thinking anywhere from Pismo to San Diego but would like the warmest water possible!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warmest beach - June

We can't predict weather, but the further south you go, the warmer it tends to be. However, June is notoriously foggy, so sometimes it's more foggy down south, and clear further north. Malibu often is clear in June.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: warmest beach - June

The further south you go, the warmer it should be, in theory. But Yogachik has a good point re: June Gloom and air temperature. I don't think you'd be looking at a big water temperature difference between LA and San Diego, say, though these might be somewhat warmer than Pismo. Bottom line is though that the water never gets all that warm in any of these places. You might want to search on line for some historical water temperatures for San Diego, LA etc.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,746 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warmest beach - June

In San Diego, the water is about 68 at the end of June, maybe 70 if we're lucky. Last year the highest it got, as far as I know, was 74 in August. I have seen it get up to 75 but it never gets much higher than that. As of today it's around 60. It is true that San Diego often has the "June Gloom" weather in May and June, where it can remain cloudy and overcast all day long at the beach, but it's not every single day. There are sometimes breaks from it if high pressure over California keeps the clouds out to sea. When that happens it's hot. But June in general tends to be cool and cloudy in San Diego. Here is a chart of average ocean temperatures in California:

beachcalifornia.com/beach/california-ocean-t…

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
California
California
United States
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warmest beach - June

June tends to be cloudy and cooler in Los Angeles as well. June Gloom, May Gray. It can clear out early but many times it's cloudy for a good part of the day. If you want warm waters and clear beautiful days in June with great beaches, I suggest Mexico or Hawaii. LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: warmest beach - June

I agree, June is the worst month for the beach because of the on-shore flow. Worst in the sense that typically it won't be hotty and sunny. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the beach. Just plan accordingly.

HTH

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: warmest beach - June

May I suggest to look into Palm Springs?

June is known for fog along the beaches in Southern California, it can burn off by noon somedays, other days it wont do so until 4 pm. We can not predict the weather, but I can tell you that wou would not have to worry about it in Palm Springs around that time of the year.

The city itself is basically a beach resort, just without the beach(but plenty of great pools)

Just an option you might want to look into...

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
California
California
United States
7. Re: warmest beach - June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 12, 2010