We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation question

Is there a good way to get from downtown LA (around the performing arts center) to the Grove and Farmer's Market without a car? Possible by subway? or best by taxi or bus?

Mentioned in this post
The Grove
The Grove
2,088 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation question

You can probably take the redline train from downtown to Hollywood and Highland. From there, I believe there is a bus called the Dash that has a bus stop somewhere around Hollywood and Highland. The Dash can take you to the Grove and Farmer's Market.

There are a couple of experts of public transportation in this forum, and they can give you more suggestions. One of the members actually live in downtown and is a great source on downtown and public transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood & Highland
Hollywood & Highland
377 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,088 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation question

You might also want to look at the sticky that's part of the LA Forum regarding top 10 frequently asked questions on LA(written by a couple of members from here).it provides some info on public transportation as well.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation question

Hey, Love

It's really easy to get where you're going.

Pick up the #14 bus on the south side of the Music Center Complex (on 1st Street between Grand Avenue and Flower Street). You want to go in a westerly direction. The us will travel on 1st Street a short distance and then 1st Street will merge onto Beverly Bl. For this reason, the #14 bus is none to some as "the Beverly BL bus". It will stay on Beverly Blvd for most of the balance of the trip.

This is a cool ride because it takes you through lots of different kinds of neighborhood (not all attractive) but gives you a feel for what L.A. is. The first neighborhood (Westlake) is one of the oldest neighborhoods in L.A. When you pass the 3800 block, you'll be in one of the many ethnic neighborhoods, Koreatown, marked by lots of Korean-language store signs and billboards. When you pass the 5300 block, you wil be passing by (on your left), Windsor Square, also, an extremely old neighborhood -- but, of fine homes. Once you pass over Rossmore St, the 5800 block of Beverly Bl, you've entered Hancock Park, a very expensive, old neighborhood in L.A., bordered on the right and left side of the road with the Wilshire Country club.

You will be getting off the bus soon -- at the corner of stanley Ave (which has been re-named "the Grove Drive" on the left side of Beverly Bl. There is a U.S. Post office at that corner (left side of bus) at 7610 Beverly Bl. Get off there. Just beyond the post office on the left side of the bus is The Grove Drive. Walk down that street and about 2/3 of the way down on your right is the entrance to the grove (just beyond the parking structure, enter where the circular driveway is).

The Farmer's Market is attached to the Grove. Walk away from the fountain at the grove, down the main street within the shopping center and it will run into the Farmer's Market.

The trip should take about 30-40 minutes (check the schedule, below) and costs $1.25 each way. If you plan on taking more than two trips on buses and/or trains in any one day, buy a day pass for $3 -- which will allow unlimited travel.

You can look up this route (for schedules) at mta.net. Fill in the "From" and "To" spaces with MUSIC CENTER and THE GROVE (or you can use actual street addresses or intersections as follows:

MAIN ST / 2ND AV (<-- Notice the slash between the two streets).

I've put the above streets in UPPERCASE but that is not necessary.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hancock Park
Hancock Park
6 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Wilshire Motel
Wilshire Motel
106 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,088 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation question

CLARIFICATION:

The street intersections I've mentioned above is AN EXAMPLE ONLY. It's not the intersection of your starting and ending points!!!

But, if you wish to use nta.net to get to other intersections, you can follow this model by entering the streets as above.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation question

I need to drink less coffee!!!

The bus/metro info website is:

Mta.net not Nta.net

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation question

Great-many thanks for the directions!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation question

Here's one option.

From your starting point (sounds like the Music Center), you can jump on the Red Line heading at the Civic Center station and get on the train to North Hollywood. Exit at the Beverly station. (Check out the fake boulders. Not sure why, but I like 'em.) At the intersection of Beverly & Vermont, there's a stop for buses heading west on Beverly. I don't know the exact bus numbers, but ask the driver if the bus takes you to The Grove. If you're lucky, you'll be able to catch a Rapid bus. But, I believe these run on this route only during rush hour.

Also, check out the MTA website. HTH. Enjoy the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,088 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation question

Hitch, the bus on Beverly is the #14 as in the above example. (You need to read these posts as their will be a 'pop quiz' on Friday! The boulders are kind of cool.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation question

Here I am complaining and I can't even spell 'there' correctly!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation question

I would like to try out the "Red Line". We lived in LA for one year-near Santa Monica- and the subway was just being finished when we left. So I'll have to check it out! Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California