We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

los angeles

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
los angeles

Might be moving to Los Angeles. Just wondering if vernon south of Los Angeles was a bad area. Also where would be a good area to move?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: los angeles

I was looking at the map of where Vernon Ave might be. It does get into some neighborhoods that aren't the best. Further south-east though, Downey is not a bad neighborhood, and then Cerritos isn't bad either, if you're considering to live and move around this area. My address is in LA, but I live in West LA, which is a nice area. A couple of communities near my area include Mar Vista, Palms, Culver City, and then there's also West Hollywood, Westwood, Century City.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,888 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: los angeles

Vernon is an industrial area - mostly warehouses.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: los angeles

Hi, easy

In addition to being a Tripadvisor Expert, I also own an estate agency. Los Angeles is a giant metropolitan area with at least 100 neighborhoods and cities within a 1 hour commute of the city centre. Where you decide you buy decides on a lot of things:

1. What part of the L.A. metro area you are working.

2. The maximum amount of daily commute that you are willing to tolerate

3. Your budget (homes in the prime areas of Los Angeles -- which is mostly the area west of downtown and closer to the ocean, i.e. Santa Monica. West L.A., Mar Vista, Palms, West Hollywood, Brentwood, and Westwood have home prices BEGINNING at approximately $600,000 and that is for homes of about 900 sq ft (85 sq meters). In general, the farther you go from downtown Los Angeles, the less expensive the homes (unless the home is close to the ocean or up in the hills).

4. School system requirements. Do you have children that need to attend school?

5. Closeness to public transportation. Will you and/or your spouse/partner have a car or will you need to be close to buses and trains to get you to work, stores, etc?

If I can answer any other questions, feel free to contact me through my website at:

http://users.aol.com/houses4you/

Good luck!

Fred

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: los angeles

Yes, Vernon south is a bad part of town.

As others have pointed out, you have a number of factors to consider. I won't repeat them. As a downtown resident, I can tell you my wife and I are very happy living here. The area is undergoing a major residential renaisance. However, it is clearly not for everyone (nor most I'd venture). And, it definitely is not downtown Toronto. (I'm from Canada.)

I'd recommend you find somewhere reasonably priced and convenient to your work. Then, once you're here, make a determined point to investigate the city. L.A. is a pretty segregated place and people tend to stay close to home. This is partly a factor of geography and because the city is so big. Traffic is getting worse. Historically, fear of crime was another factor, too. Then, once you get to know the city and its various neighborhoods, really decide where you want to live.

One detail you should also consider is weather. The closer you are to the coast, the cooler it is. You also get a marine layer coming in a lot (which I don't like).

Lastly, don't move somewhere like Chino Hills or Bakersville and think you're living in L.A. I've known people who move to these kinds of suburban communities and they think they are L.A. (and hate it). Of course, each unto their own. But, if you're going to live in L.A., try to live somewhere you can take advantage of all the city has to offer. It is truly an incredible place to live.

HTH.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: los angeles

I think the link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon%2C_California

sums up the city pretty good:

"Vernon is a city located in Los Angeles County, California. As of the 2000 census, the city only had a total population of 91. It has the smallest population of any incorporated city in California; most of the city's land area is occupied by industrial facilities. Vernon was incorporated to promote industrial development along the railroads in the area. Consisting almost entirely of warehouses and factories, the city's main industries are textile manufacturing, metalworking, and manufacture of transportation equipment."

If you read futher, you'll see that as of the 2000 census, only 91 people lived in Vernon. In other words, I don't think you'll want to live there.

I think you're best off coming on a vacation and spending some (okay, a lot) of time driving around different areas.

When I moved here for work, I came up with a rough estimate of how far I was willing to commute to work. I drove around all of those areas, bought some local newspapers to see what was affordable as far as rents go, and then spent a lot of time visiting those areas.

If you're looking to buy a house, the "Los Angeles Times" publishes real estate information on Sundays. It will help you get an idea of what homes costs. In Los Angeles County, the median home price is around $500,000. If you're looking to rent an apartment, however, the "Los Angeles Times" isn't that great of a resource, especially for areas outside of the city of Los Angeles. For those areas, check local papers or, better yet, pay for apartment listings from a listing agency like http://www.westsiderentals.com/.

What's a "good area" for some people can be an overpriced, yuppy haven for others. Some people live just happily in areas that others would consider "bad." Some people want a single family house with a yard and they don't want to pay a lot of money, so they wind up in far-flung places with long commutes to work. Others opt to live in apartments or condos in denser areas of the city.

When you think of "Los Angeles," it's actually a very large area that encompasses cities and towns that are not within the borders of the actual city of Los Angeles. It's a very large and diverse area--hundreds of square miles. In other words, it's a pretty hard questions to answer.

The Yahoo! city comparison guide might be kind of handy:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/re/neighborhood

Toronto
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: los angeles

Thanks for the advice everybody.