We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in LA

Hi - I'm not sure if you've already done this but I have a one day stop over in LA with my plane leaving at midnight. I don't want to get a car and don't mind walking. Can you point me to a previous thread that can give me a suggested itinerary or please suggest one. I'm thinking around Hollywood but could do Santa Monica if there enough to entertain me?

I'm arty but still a little star struck and would like to experience LA in the short time I have. I'll be there Monday from about 11am don't want to get back to the airport until at least 9pm.

I'd appreciate any assistance in helping me plan my day.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in LA

There's not much to walk to from LAX, I assume that's where you will be. Get a bus/taxi down to Santa Monica...you can walk the Promenade, see the beach, etc. Get a taste of LA beach life. You can also walk to Venice Beach from Santa Monica. Plenty of stores and places to eat.

Based on where you are (airport area) that would be the closest thing that could absorb a few hours and only mean one cab/bus ride up and back.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,383 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in LA

If you're lucky, you'll land in time to take a coach tour of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Starline Tours offers a five hour tour that picks up and drops off at LAX for people like you who have a layover. The coach picks up at 11:30, 13:30 or 14:30 and returns about 5 hours later.

Here's the link:

http://starlinetours.com/AL_stopover.asp

If you can make the 11:30 coach, you'll be back by 4:30 which will afford you a chance to either go into Santa Monica/Venice as the previous poster suggested or, as an alternative beach experience, you could go to Manhattan Beach Manhattan Beach is a less urban, residential community to the south of LAX. It's a little less gritty and a little less crowded than Venice and a bit closer to LAX than both Venice and Santa Monica (which are a little farther NORTH of the airport).

On the way to or from the sand at Manhattan Beach, there is a really nice outdoor shopping center with lots of nice restaurants (some with outside dining) that you could stop at. The shopping center is called: "Manhattan Village". Their website is: http://www.shopmanhattanvillage.com/

Keep in mind: if you take a taxi to anywhere, you will have to make arrangements to get back to the airport. Taxis do not roam the streets in Los Angeles (except in a very few instances), so you will have to call for a return cab. To do so, you will need to take down the phone number of the cab company that drops you off (or perhaps, you can make an arrangement with the driver to come back later to get you).

Here is a link to a website listing all of the taxi companies serving Los Angeles.

http://www.taxicabsla.org/

NOTE: The area that you will be travelling in is area B (Manhattan Beach is just south of El Segundo on the map but is still serviced by Area B companies). Each company is aloud to operate in only a few areas, but, in general, United Taxi should be available to you no matter which beach community you choose. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THESE PHONE NUMBERS WITH YOU OR MAKE SOME ARRANGEMENT WITH YOUR DRIVER. Also, if you don't have a mobile phone, be sure you have change to make a call from a public 'coin' telephone.

As you will be in the beach areas in the evening and it is Fall/Winter, it can get a little chilly so be sure to carry a light jacket or light sweater with you.

Good luck!!

manhatan beach, ca
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in LA

Great details from the above post!

I think it would be great to take a tour of Hollywood when you arrive at LAX in the afternoon. Then later on during the day, if you still have a chance, head for the beach. Either Santa Monica/Venice or Manhattan Beach. Manhattan Beach is closer to LAX. I live in Manhattan Beach, a little less crowded and less touristy than Santa Monica, but I enjoy it here, and it has a great ambiance. There's a few local shops and restaurants close to the pier. This week seems to be summer weather, but it does get cooler at night, so be sure to take a sweater with you-as the previous poster already suggested.

Have a great time in LA! There's more things to see, but if you have a day only, you get to see some of the highlights of it.

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in LA

Hi thanks for your advice, it's great. Can you tell me what there is to do at Manhattan Beach Ie: can I entertain myself there for 3 hours; & how far is from Hollywood in a cab and then to the airport?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in LA

"Can you tell me what there is to do at Manhattan Beach Ie: can I entertain myself there for 3 hours;"

If you're getting to the town of Manhattan Beach via taxi or bus, I would stick around the downtown Manhattan Beach area, near the intersections of Manhattan Beach Boulevard (which ends at an ocean pier) and Highland Avenue.

In downtown Manhattan Beach, you could get something to eat, have a drink, shop at local unique stores, either walk along the beach or rent a bicycle or skates and ride along the beach. There's enough to do there for three or four hours. It's a small, expensive beach town--not a glitzy, star-studded center of activity. This time of year (winter), it gets dark at around 5:00 PM. If you want to walk to another town to see what it looks like, you should head south down the beachside path ("The Strand") to Hermosa Beach.

Most of the stores and restaurants in downtown Manhattan Beach are on Manhattan and Highland Avenues, from 8th Street to the south to 15th Street to the north. There are also businesses along the last eight blocks of Manhattan Beach Boulevard.

There's about twenty or so places to eat in downtown Manhattan Beach. For inexpensive, typical Mexican food, you could try:

El Sombrero, 1005 Manhattan Avenue (south of Manhattan Beach Boulevard), Manhattan Beach, CA, telephone: (310) 374-1366.

There's good fish at:

Rock'n Fish, 120 Manhattan Beach Boulevard (west of Manhattan Avenue), Manhattan Beach, CA, telephone: (310) 379-9900, http://rocknfishmb.com/

For something a little fancier, you could try:

Avenue, 1141 Manhattan Avenue (north of Manhattan Beach Boulevard), Manhattan Beach, CA, telephone (310) 802-1973, http://www.avenuemb.com/

Here's a photograph of downtown Manhattan Beach, taken from the pier and looking up Manhattan Beach Boulevard:

…imageevent.com/ctkpop/…P1270019.jpg

For more information about downtown Manhattan Beach, see: http://www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com/

"how far is from Hollywood in a cab and then to the airport?"

From Manhattan Beach to Hollywood, it's about twenty-five miles. A cab would cost at least $52.00 and take about a forty-five minutes to travel that distance. You'll have to call ahead for a cab since you can't hail cabs from the street in most places in the Los Angeles area. From Hollywood to LAX it's about 18 miles. A cab would cost at least $38.00. The trip would take about thirty-five minutes. Taking cabs can be very expensive in Los Angeles due to the distances between things. Those two trips by cab are about two to three times what you'd pay to rent a car for the day.

It's possible that the trip time and the cost of the cab could be different due to traffic, depending on the day of the week and the time of day.

There is a free shuttle called the Ocean Express that makes hourly stops at LAX hotels and drives down to the Manhattan Village Mall (a small, typical American mall) and then to downtown Manhattan Beach. Check with your hotel to see if this shuttle stops at your hotel or a hotel nearby.

If you're staying at a hotel on or near Century Boulevard near LAX, there's nothing to walk to really. It's not a pedestrian-friendly area. There's mostly other hotels, car rental companies, and fast food restaurants.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in LA

Hollywood by cab is about an hour each way (figuring in traffic), less if you hit it right.

I recommend Santa Monica for a few hours, there's lots to see - you can go to the beach, shop, eat yummy food, people watch in Venice. Manhattan Beach is beautiful, but it's a small beach community with just one small area of shops and cafes.

In Santa Monica, start at the north end of the Third Street Promenade and work your way south. When you get to Colorado, check out the pier or take the free shuttle to Main Street in Venice (picks up at the Promenade and Colorado and takes you up and down Main Street) and check out the Boardwalk (which starts at Navy, on the northern end). From the south end of Venice, you're only about 15-20 minutes to LAX by taxi.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,383 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in LA

You can also rent a bike from any of the beach areas and ride up and down the strand (boardwalk). The ride from the northernmost beach (Santa Monica) to the Southernmost beach (Redondo) takes about 40 minutes but you could easily stop at various beaches (each beach has its own personality -- Santa Monica is a major city with highrise buildings, etc; Venice has a quaint 1960s 'tie-died' t-shirt kind of feel, Marina del Rey has the marina -- boats, etc. etc).

Enjoy

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in LA

Thanks Guys this is great information. I don't want to drive as I'm from Oz and likely to turn into the wrong lane of traffic and I have no idea about US road rules. Is there a cheaper alternative than a cab to get between Hollywood and Santa Monica/Venice beach?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in LA

"Is there a cheaper alternative than a cab to get between Hollywood and Santa Monica/Venice beach?"

A day bus pass is only $3.00. See:

http://www.mta.net

http://bigbluebus.com

to plan your trip.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in LA

Here's a couple of other suggestions based upon your comment that you're 'arty'.

1) Take a cab directly to The Getty. This is an impressive museum situated high in the Santa Monica mountains. It is located just off the 405 north of LAX. The musuem grounds alone are worth the visit with excellent views of the city. If antiquities are your thing, that's a plus. There's also decent food available. If you choose this option, beware that traffic on the 405 during rush hour is brutal.

2) You could also head downtown to see the new Disney Hall, the new Cathedral and the Museum of Contemporary Art. These are all located on Grand Avenue on Bunker Hill in downtown. To get there, you'd take a shuttle from the airport to the Green Line. Take the Green Line east. Transfer to the Blue Line going north to L.A. Transfer to the Red Line going east three stops to Civic Center. From there you could walk to these sites. However, I'd only advise this if you were very determined and don't mind navigating the transit system like this. However, there are now excellent signs in the Red Line stations for tourists (e.g. Cathedral this way) and the city just recently installed an excellent signage system for pedestrians. This is extremely helpful.

3) You could also check out the Watts Towers very quickly. They are located off the Blue Line at the 103rd Street station and within walking distance.

Regardless, whatever you decide to do, make sure you give yourself enough time to return to the airport.

HTH. Enjoy your trip.