We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Vegas to LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
From Vegas to LA

Hi, i´m going to drive from LA to vegas on a sunday and then back from Vegas to LA on the following Friday. Any tips for the best hours to driveso I will not catch any bad traffic ?? I got the information that these days on the week are the best to drive from and to these cities. But what are the best hours of the day ?? Another thing, how much will I spend in gas each way ????

anybody who can help, thank you very much !!!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Vegas to LA

Friday is actually a terrible day to drive to LA, unless you leave Vegas between 6AM and 8AM. Driving Sunday, you could leave at any hour, really. What time of year is this drive?

Gas will cost about $150 round trip, but it depends on the type of car - it will be less for a small car.

Rio de Janeiro...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Vegas to LA

yogachik, are you serious ????

now i´m nervous..... A friend told me that on friday from vegas to LA, I would be going against the heavy traffic that goes towards vegas .

This trip will be exactly going to vegas november 27 th sunday, and coming back from vegas to Anaheim on friday December 2nd. I go back directly to anaheim to go to Disneyland on the weekend.

thanks for the response.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Vegas to LA

I was afraid that was the Sunday you were driving. You really couldn't pick a worse day to drive than the end of a long holiday weekend. It's Thanksgiving weekend and it's the busiest travel weekend of the year. Again, you should leave LA between 6 and 8AM.

And, while you may be going against Vegas travelers on that Friday, you'll still hit business traffic: buses, trucks, commuters.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Vegas to LA

Unless you're driving a Hummer, there is no way it will cost you $150 to drive round trip to Vegas. LA to Vegas is less than 300 miles. You do the math.

You shouldn't have problems driving TO Vegas on a Sunday and TO Los Angeles on a Friday. The only advice I have for you is not to get caught in rush hour traffic on Friday. My advice is to leave LV no later than 11am.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Vegas to LA

Vegas to LA ... Its about $40-$45 one way. Fill up once before you leave and fill up again before you leave. You should be fine. The only thing I would say is long weekends (Thanksgiving Weekend) are always a mess going to Vegas. Try to get an early start to avoid the crowds. Try to go to the bathroom and have all your snacks in the car. Trying to stop at a rest stop during long holiday weekends are insane!

But anyways have a blast! Don't loose all your money.

PS I love Rio went 2 years ago ... had a blast!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Vegas to LA

I don't know what you guys drive, but I have an SUV and it's $50 a tank - 2 1/2 - 3 tanks round trip to Vegas (600 miles). When gas prices were high last month, it was $65 a tank. Gone are the days when I paid $35 a tank, it has averaged around $47 for over a year.