We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA one full day without car

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
137 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
LA one full day without car

We will be staying 2 nights in LA on a trip to Hawaii. We will have one full day before we fly out and were not planning to rent a car. Can someone recommend a nice place to stay? Please take into consideration that we will need a taxi to and from. I would also consider renting a car if it would be cheaper and more convenient.

This is our first trip to LA on the return from Hawaii we will be staying in Disneyland for 4 days but I need a recommendation on where to stay and what to do for this one day. We will be flying in on a Friday night and flying out on Sunday morning.

Thanks for your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA one full day without car

Hi Megadan - please give us an idea of your hotel budget per night?

One good area to stay without a car is Hollywood (around Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.), as its a big public transportation hub, and one of the major tour operators does a variety of tours departing from that area. In addition, several popular sights are right there - the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theater, the Kodak Theater, and you can get a great view of the Hollywood sign there as well.

You can also reach this area on public transportation pretty easily from LAX - it costs $8.25 per person. You take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station in downtown LA, which is $7 per person:

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292

At Union Station, take the Red Line subway towards North Hollywood (do not take the Purple Line subway, which goes to Wilshire / Western and shares the same platform at Union Station as the Red Line). You can exit at the Hollywood / Highland station. $1.25 pp

http://www.metro.net/around/rail/red-line/

There are several hotels in the area, and they cover a wide budget range. High end would be the Renaissance or the Roosevelt. Mid range would be Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Magic Castle Hotel, Orchid Suites, Celebrity hotel among others. The popular low range choice is the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave.

In addition, there is a brand new W hotel at Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St., one stop before Hollywood / Highland on the Red Line. Its a 4-star hotel, and its been on hotwire.com lately for $149 or thereabouts, which is a very good deal if your budget allows it.

As you can see above, $8.25 to reach the area on public transportation. A taxi to this area would be around $50 from LAX. Most other popular locations to stay would cost at least $40 each way via taxi from LAX, often a lot more. This can often exceed the cost of renting a car, but, alas, most hotels charge $20+/ night for parking, which can tend to tip the financial scales back in favor of a taxi to your hotel. At the end of the day, however, having a car is usually much more convenient, so it really depends on your budget etc.

Another idea would be to stay in downtown LA. There are some nice hotels there that can be had for very reasonable prices, and they are also similarly easy to reach on public transportation from LAX. Downtown is also a big public transportation hub. Its main disadvantages are a) some parts of downtown rather quiet and little foot traffic nights and weekends, and b) its to the easy of most tourist sights - Hollywood is a bit more central.

In any case, as for ideas of what to do, it would really depend on your interests. Have a look at the FAQ's at the top of this forum, and www.discoverlosangeles.com for some ideas.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
137 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA one full day without car

Thanks.

Our budget for the hotel is around $200 per night. I did read the FAQs and was considering Hollywood but I wanted to be open to all suggestions. We will have 2 weeks worth of luggage upon arrival at LAX so we will need either a car or a taxi. $50 sounds steep. I'm sure we can get a car for less.

Is the W within walking distance to things? How far is the ride from the airport to Hollywood?

We go into NYC all the time and are we are not intimidated by walking.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA one full day without car

The W is around 14 miles to LAX on surface streets. Its farther on the freeways (about 24 miles) because the freeways don't run straight between them.

Yes, the W is within walking distance to some restaurants / bars etc. Also, as mentioned before, Hollywood / Highland, which is the center of Hollywood, is just one stop away on the Metro (about a mile).

For sightseeing, you'll probably want to rely on public transportation if you don't rent a car See www.metro.net Or you can do some organized tours on Star Line or Gray Line etc. Walking is of limited use in LA - things are quite spread out and the area is huge. But it really depends on exactly what you want to see. The subway runs between Hollywood and downtown - Downtown can be an interesting area to walk around - you can see the LA Conservancy web site for some suggested walking tours of that area.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA one full day without car

We also have the shared van services here, which can handle your luggage and take you straight to your hotel without transfers and walking. You just go out to the curb under "shared van". Depending on what time you arrive, and where you are headed, they can be considerably less than a taxi. Taxis here charge for wait time.

If you are using Hotwire to get the W on the special price , I would also look at the 4-star hotels in downtown LA ( I think I see the Omni with 90% approval rating). Another choice might be Westwood, but I wouldn't want Century City. Since you're coming from Hawaii I probably wouldn't go with Santa Monica which has astronomical hotel prices on the beach.

Manchester
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA one full day without car

Hi,

You could get a shared van from LAX - we did this last year, I think it was about $15 each, another couple were already on the van and we did a circuit then went on our way, we stayed at the Hollday Inn walk of fame and had planned to book a taxi on the way back to the airport, they offered us a private company who charged $60...we could have just done the shuttle but had a morning flight so couldnt be bothered with the messing about (hoping they arrived on time, picking others up etc) and didnt know how much a taxi would cost..extra for traffic...it worked out ok!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA one full day without car

Weekend car rentals are pretty inexpensive, just choose a hotel or motel with little or no parking charges if the budget is tight. You will be able to see and do a lot more with a car and traffic usually doesn't stall too much on Saturdays and Sundays. If your travel is in the hot summer, you may want to stick to hotels on the WEST side of the city.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,961 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA one full day without car

It would appear from your other postings that you have not booked your air as yet (and, maybe, your Anaheim hotel either). I would, therefore like to recommend a small change:

Take a day away from Anaheim/Disneyland and add it to the "L.A." portion of your trip. Three days in DL is plenty and only 1 day in Los Angeles is no where near enough time to see much of anything.

L.A. is not like Manhattan. You can't just walk from neighborhood to neighborhood. It's more like the towns in northern New Jersey: there are attractions in one area, then there's a long stretch where there's nothing of interest and then there's another neighborhood of interest. I grew up in NY so I'm used to walking but you can't really walk BETWEEN neighborhoods here. It wouldn't be practical and you don't have the time.

With 2 full days in L.A., you could devote one day to the inland communities (Hollywood, downtown L.A., Beverly Grove, West Hollywood) and one day to the westside (Brentwood, Santa Monica, etc).

If you're locked into just 1 day in Los Angeles, I would stay in the Westwood neighborhood. Here's why:

1. There's an express bus from the airport to Westwood (The Westwood Flyaway bus -- $5). The drive is about 25 minutes but if you're arriving before 6:30 on Friday, it could take twice as long. (Do not drive via the freeway to Westwood before 6:30; take alternate routes). The Flyaway MUST take the freeway so expect an hour-long transfer if you arrive before 6:30 on the Flyaway. The bus is non-stop to Westwood, is a comfortable 'greyhound-style' bus (or van) and has luggage storage aboard.

2. Westwood is between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills with easy bus and 'driving access' to most neighborhoods including Hollywood, Brentwood and West Hollywood.

3. Hotels are in your price range.

4. If you should decide to take the Starline Hop On, Hop Off (HoHo) tour, there is a stop in Westwood (at the corner of Wilshire Bl & Westwood Bl).

What are your travel dates?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA one full day without car

I'd say if you have only a single day, stay in Santa Monica. Take a taxi or bus to The Getty Center in the morning. Have lunch on the patio. Head back to Santa Monica. Explore the beach area on foot near the pier. The Promenade, Venice Beach and Main Street are all nearby.

HTH

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA one full day without car

HSJ is right, you need more time in LA.

One possible itinerary would be the beach, the LA County Museum (the best large art museum in the region), and Hollywood Boulevard (with associated food stops). From Westwood you could reach each of those places without transferring, a plus. But none of them are in Westwood and Santa Monica is a nicer, if more expensive, place to stay. There's a city bus from Santa Monica to LAX if you think you can manage the luggage (you won't be the only one on there with luggage).

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
137 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA one full day without car

Thanks for all the terrific recommendations. We are traveling in July so we do expect it to be very hot. The reason for the day in LA is that we don't want to do New Jersey to Hawaii without a rest in between.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have taken notes of what to look for and what to avoid.