We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Living in LA

Washington
7 posts
Save Topic
Cost of Living in LA

I have some interviews with a couple of companies in the LA area coming up. A couple of employers are asking salary requirements. Considering cost of living in LA, what would a good salary range be? 70K? 80K? 90K? I'm working in Information Technology snd have been working for 8 years now. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Living in LA

From my own experience, my salary increased another $10,000 when moving from Seattle to LA after my internship, that was in the mid 90s.

What type of job are you working in IT? This is just some information based on the company I work for, since I've been here for a while now. For QA, the range can be $70,000-$100,000 depending on experience, skills, automation tools, and whether you have a college degree. For software developers they usually have a higher salary than QA. It also depends if you have a specific skill that is in need right now. For example, I know a couple of contractors in my company who have extensive database experience and knowlegde that they can earn $150+/hr. One other thing I'd like to add, the starting salary for a couple of college hires at our dept who are software developers, no experience is about $60,000 this year. Salary can also depend on your company's industry whether it's a law firm, tecnology/R&D, medical, financial, entertainment, etc.

Regarding cost of living in LA, home prices are pretty high, which is the negative part. Good luck to you!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Living in LA

I went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics website and compared the salaries of IT managers. In L.A., the median salary was:

$109,330

For Seattle, it was:

$109,320

(Wow! That's a surprise)

For Tacoma, it was:

$87,030

The Los Angeles page is at:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_4480.htm

(look for Computer and Information Systems Managers on the tenth line of the report)

The Seattle page is at:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_7600.htm

The Tacoma page is at:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_8200.htm

Hope this is helpful!

El Segundo, CA
Level Contributor
380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Living in LA

Dice.com can be another indicator. Dice is a database filled with technical jobs across the country, which my husband sometimes compares his salary to others.

marketing.dice.com/rateresults/index.asp

Using the 818 area code only, for a software developer, here are the results:

For Contractors with 5 years experience the mean salary is $115,000

For Full time postions with 5 years experience the mean is $72,000

The LA area though has a lot of area codes including 310, 626, 213, 562, 909 amongst others.

El Segundo, CA
Level Contributor
380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Living in LA

Oops. It's actually $81,000 mean for full time software developer.