We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

I'm arriving to LAX at Friday 9 AM (I know it's the worst day to drive to Vegas, but there's no other way)

Which is the best route to take? I think we'll be out of the airport and ready to drive at about 11 AM.

Thank you!

Anaheim, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

It's pretty easy -

Take the 105 East to

the 605 North to

the 10 East

to the 15 North until you get to Vegas!

Once you get to the 15 it should be pretty smooth. Traffic usually doesn't get bad out there until mid-late afternoon.

Good luck!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Why not just transfer to a southwest.com internal flight to Las Vegas from LAX. They leave hourly and the flight takes about an hour. You'll also save on the cost of fuel. If you hire a car in Las Vegas, it will be less expensive than one in L.A., btw.

Edited: 8:52 pm, January 24, 2010
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Thank you so much you both!

I'd rather drive just because...I'm a panic flyer! :)

I'll be flying 15 hours to get to LA from Buenos Aires. I think I won't be able to take another plane.

Thanks for your advice, anyway!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Getting on the road by 11 am is just about right. When we have to leave the LAX area on Fridays, we leave by 10 am and find the traffic going east not too bad. Have fun.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Thank you! And one last question? I've read that there's a part of the way to Vegas that you have nowhere to stop to get your tank filled or to go to the toilet. Where is the last convenient point to stop for some food or gas? How many miles of "nothing" do we have to drive?

Thanks again!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

We usually stop in Barstow for gasoline and pit stop. They have an In'N Out Burger place that we like to stop at. If you haven't had a burger Animal Style, you should try it. It's off the Secret Menu.

www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

http://www.in-n-out.com/menu.asp

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

There are lots and lots of signs warning you about the scarcity of fuel stations.

Please remember, after such a long flight, that you might be tired. (I flew back from BA, 2 years ago, didn't sleep much on the plane, and barely made it home (30 minutes from LAX); before immediately falling asleep for 6 hours. Don't make this drive if you're not feeling up to it. Get a cheap room at LAX and rest,

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

There's not that many miles of nothing.Barstow is a good place to stop.There are one or two highway rest stops along the way between Barstow and the Nevada state line.

Avoid buying gas in Baker,its pricy.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Wow--after a 15 hour flight, I don't know if I would be willing to get in the car and drive for 3 to 4 hours. I also recommend that short, cheap flight to Vegas on Southwest.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Las Vegas from LAX by car

Just make sure your car is filled with gas before you leave LAX and you won't need to stop for gas. I have a Audi SUV and can make it on 1/2 tank.