We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Close to LAX

Hi all, we are in L.A on the 3rd November are staying right next to LAX airport, can anyone tell me what stuff is good to do thats close to the airport during the day? I have checked out zoo's, universal studios etc - but these all seem so far away - we will probably have about 7 hours to kill during the day.. and dont wanna waste too much time travelling places.. let me know it would be SO APPRECIATED! the lakers are playing the same night we leave.. DAMN!

:-)

Star^

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close to LAX

The closest to LAX is either Santa Monica/Venice or the South Bay (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach). They are both about 15 minutes from LAX and both have great little cafes and fun shopping (boutiques) - both have piers. Cab fare would be about $20 to each, but you'd have to reserve one for your return.

Another option is to drive up the 405 and see The Getty Center, a great museum with a beautiful garden.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Close to LAX

Thanks very much for your swift reply - it is very useful. :-) I think we may head to santa monica/venice as you said, my bf really wants to buy himself some NBA gears, are there any clothes shops of that type around there? what about womens plus sizes?

:-)

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Close to LAX

"yogachik" gave you some good ideas (as always). Here's a few more specifics since you picked Santa Monica.

As you guessed, there's not much to do in the immediate area around LAX. It's mostly hotels, car rental companies, and fast food restaurants.

Seven hours is enough time to spend some time walking around and shopping in Santa Monica. However, I would expect it to take about thirty-five minutes or so to get there (a little longer if you are trying to get there between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00 in the morning or returning to the LAX area between 4:00 and 6:00 in the evening).

Since your time is limited (and I'm assuming you don't have a rental car), you should skip public transportation (because it will take more time) and take a cab in both directions. A good destination to tell your cab driver to take you to in Santa Monica is the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Third Street in Santa Monica. From LAX, this is about eleven miles. The cab fare should be about $24.00 ($2.00 plus $0.20/0.10 miles), not counting delays due to traffic or a tip for the driver.

As "yogachik" mentioned, you'll need to prearrange a cab for your return trip from Santa Monica back to LAX. There are several cab companies that operate in the area you need to travel. See http://www.taxicabsla.org/ for taxi cab information.

If you stick around the Third Street Promenade (Third Street, from Colorado Boulevard to Wilshire Boulevard), Ocean Boulevard, and possibly the Santa Monica Pier, that's a lot to do. Most of Santa Monica is "above" the actual beach. There's a busy, six-lane highway (the Pacific Coast Highway) between a hill that the downtown Santa Monica area is on and the beach and pier below. You can cross over the Pacific Coast Highway on a bridge on Colorado Boulevard.

If you get a late start and have less time, taking a cab down to downtown Manhattan Beach will be quicker. It's still a beachside town, with a small shopping area, pier, and beachside sidewalk. It's not nearly as large of an area as Santa Monica, but it is a little quicker to get to (and take less time to walk around) than Santa Monica. A good destination address in Manhattan Beach is the corner of Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Highland Avenue. Most shops in downtown Manhattan Beach are on Manhattan Beach Boulevard, as well as Highland and Manhattan Avenues, between Tenth and Fifteenth Streets. It's a little easier to get to the actual beach in Manhattan Beach than Santa Monica.

I'm not aware of NBA clothing or plus-sized women shops in either area. Santa Monica is more likely to have stores to meet your needs.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Close to LAX

"yogachik" gave you some good ideas (as always). Here's a few more specifics since you picked Santa Monica.

As you guessed, there's not much to do in the immediate area around LAX. It's mostly hotels, car rental companies, and fast food restaurants.

Seven hours is enough time to spend some time walking around and shopping in Santa Monica. However, I would expect it to take about thirty-five minutes or so to get there (a little longer if you are trying to get there between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00 in the morning or returning to the LAX area between 4:00 and 6:00 in the evening).

Since your time is limited (and I'm assuming you don't have a rental car), you should skip public transportation (because it will take more time) and take a cab in both directions. A good destination to tell your cab driver to take you to in Santa Monica is the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Third Street in Santa Monica. From LAX, this is about eleven miles. The cab fare should be about $24.00 ($2.00 plus $0.20/0.10 miles), not counting delays due to traffic or a tip for the driver.

As "yogachik" mentioned, you'll need to prearrange a cab for your return trip from Santa Monica back to LAX. There are several cab companies that operate in the area you need to travel. See http://www.taxicabsla.org/ for taxi cab information.

If you stick around the Third Street Promenade (Third Street, from Colorado Boulevard to Wilshire Boulevard), Ocean Boulevard, and possibly the Santa Monica Pier, that's a lot to do. Most of Santa Monica is "above" the actual beach. There's a busy, six-lane highway (the Pacific Coast Highway) between a hill that the downtown Santa Monica area is on and the beach and pier below. You can cross over the Pacific Coast Highway on a bridge on Colorado Boulevard.

If you get a late start and have less time, taking a cab down to downtown Manhattan Beach will be quicker. It's still a beachside town, with a small shopping area, pier, and beachside sidewalk. It's not nearly as large of an area as Santa Monica, but it is a little quicker to get to (and take less time to walk around) than Santa Monica. A good destination address in Manhattan Beach is the corner of Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Highland Avenue. Most shops in downtown Manhattan Beach are on Manhattan Beach Boulevard, as well as Highland and Manhattan Avenues, between Tenth and Fifteenth Streets. It's a little easier to get to the actual beach in Manhattan Beach than Santa Monica.

I'm not aware of NBA clothing or plus-sized women shops in either area. Santa Monica is more likely to have stores to meet your needs.