We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December in LA / California

Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
December in LA / California

Hi !

My mate & I are arriving in LAX on 16th December. Our plan is to spend 4 nights in the Best Western on Sunset Plaza then drive to Phoenix, AZ for 4 nights then onto Las Vegas for 24th & 25th of December. This then leaves with 4 days to spend in the greater LA area, we depart on the 30th of December. We have been to LA before (Downtown, Hollywood & Santa Monica)

We are wondering;

is it realistic to drive from LA to Phoenix in 1 day (in daylight)?

where is the best place to base ourselves in Phoenix mid-week and what would attractions would you recommend for a 4 day stay?

is Las Vegas likely to be busy over the holidays?

any suggestions on where we should spend the last 4 days, we are considering Santa Barbara, Long Beach, Malibu or Pasadena, any other suggestions welcome?

Any hints, tips, advice, must-see attractions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Plaza
Sunset Plaza
212 Reviews
West Hollywood, CA
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Malibu
Malibu
California
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December in LA / California

What kinds of activities are you interested in during your stay in Los Angeles?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: December in LA / California

During the day time, general sight seeing, maybe taking in a sports event or concert, also someplace where we could go out at night.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December in LA / California

What age group? This is important information to help you with your night plans.

In December, there's football, but no professional team in Los Angeles. There's hockey at Staples (the Kings are the LA Team).

What kind of restaurant do you want? Local's secrets? Great cuisine? What's your budget?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: December in LA / California

We are both in our late twenties, as for restaurants, someplace where the locals go, someplace relaxed where you can enjoy a beer (TGI Fridays type of place).

Budget, is about $100/day for food & entertainment.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December in LA / California

LA to Pheonix can easily be done in a day. We drive it regularly with two children. There is even toime to stop at the outlets for and hour or two near Plam Springs. You just take the 10 freeway out there.

Scottsdale, north of Phoenix has great shopping and restaurants - a bit more upscale.

Malibu, is nice, but not much to do around there. Santa Barbara is great, but will be quiet over the holidays while school's out.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Malibu
Malibu
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: December in LA / California

You might want to catch the Laker game if they're in town. Vegas isn't too busy during Christmas. My inlaws are from Vegas and sometimes have Christmas over in Vegas, and from what I remember, it isn't as busy as during the summer. But it would still be a lot of fun!

Things to do while you are here in LA:

-If you go to Pasadena, Old Town Pasadena has a variety of shops, restaurants, bars in the area. It's pretty crowded during the weekend.

-Did you go to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip? A bunch of restaurants and clubs there including the famous Viper Room. We saw the Pussycat Dolls there a few years ago with Carmen Electra, my husband and the men in our group enjoyed that!

-I'd also consider visiting Laguna Beach. We were there for the summer, and that place always amazes me.

-I'd visit Santa Barbara also if you get a chance. It's a beautiful town.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Sunset Strip
Sunset Strip
413 Reviews
West Hollywood, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Barbara