We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Film premiers - where to look?

Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Film premiers - where to look?

I've noticed from a couple of postings that the week in between Xmas and New Year can be a good one for film premiers in order to qualify for the Oscars. Is there a central point where you can find out who's premiering what and when or do I need to ring the studios individually? Thanks!

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

This site will show you what is premiering. You will then have to research each movie with the studio or distributor.

http://movies.go.com/upcoming

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

I found this email address at the Mann Theaters site which owns the Chinese Theater. Maybe someone there can give an answer specifically about that theater chain. They are probably the largest chain in the area. Maybe that person can give you further contacts.

tgoodson@manntheatres.com

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

The Los Angeles Times (latimes.com) has ads that start running in their Calendar section starting in late November. Usually these films show in only one movie theater, but they aren't premieres, they are movies that have opened soft, meaning only LA and New York. They run as any movie would run, with showings throughout the day and night.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

are you actually looking to see the movies or just the premieres with stars? if it's the latter, here is a website that has the info. forgive me if i misunderstood your question.

www.seeing-stars.com/Calendar/index.shtml

Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

Hi there!

Many thanks for your help. It's the starts we wanted to see. My 2 teeange sons are complete film nuts and would love to be able to be present at such an event - just to see what it's all about.

Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

Oops - freudian slip! For 'starts' read 'stars'.....apologies, it's been ONE of those days!!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

Hollywood premieres, with stars present, often are special screenings. The movies that open on Christmas Day may open at many screens.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

Premieres are not open to the public. However, if there is a big premiere, you can stand outside and watch stars enter - this is more common with summer movie premieres. Information on when and where a film is premiering may be found on that first link - or check a site like E! Entertainment.

At christmastime, though, movies open rather quietly, with screenings for the various Academies (BAFTA, SAG, DGA, etc) - stars are sometimes present to speak to the audience (on a panel) afterward. Again, these are not open to the public, only to the guild members.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Film premiers - where to look?

Actual PREMIEREs (where the stars and media show up) almost always occur several days to a week PRIOR to the opening date (i.e. when the movie is in the theaters for the public to see.) (And not all films actual have big premiers, of course.)

Films that want to qualify for Oscar consideration in the current year need to play in LA for at least one week. So there are films that start showing to the public on or before Dec. 25, to get that one week.

Unfortunately, for your purposes, this means that any films "opening" for that last week will have their premiere, if any, sometime in the week or two BEFORE the XMAS to NYears week. It's VERY unlikely that any premiers would take place during that week, especially since neither the stars, the studio executives or the media have any interest in working the week between XMAS and NYears. (And while it may look like a party to you, it's work to all of them.)

FYI, most major premieres take place at a handful of theaters ---- the Fox and Bruin in Westwood, the Academy theater in Beverly Hills or the Chinese, Eqyptian, El Capitan or Arclight in Hollywood.